First AG from scratch help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston85

Reaction score
I had posted this in the recipe section but got no bite, so figured this section has a few more people looking at it. I am trying to make a clone of a beer a friend had from Market Street Brewery in NY. The website lists the OG, IBU, Alc/Vol and 6 malts used, so I threw everything into beer smith to try and come up with something. The beer is listed by the company as a British Dark Ale, but according to reviews online it is more like a Porter/Robust Porter, which is the style I am basing it on. Below is the recipe I have come up with so far.

9.0# UK 2 Row
1.5# Victory
.50# C-20
.15# Black
.15# Chocolate
.15# Roasted

1 oz Goldings for 60 minutes, then .75 oz at 30 minutes
.5 oz Fuggles at 5 minutes

I have only done 1 AG batch, which was Wort's pale ale. All of my other extracts have been based on pre-set recipes as well. This is my first attempt at creating one myself. What does everyone think of the recipe above? Should I increase any of the grains? Switch some hops? Add more/Less? Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you're going for the porter, you might want to lose the 5 minute hop addition. Otherwise, it certainly looks yummy.

Thanks Vuarra, I will drop the late hop addition. Also when I put it in Beer smith it was showing a color around 23 SRM which looked very dark on beer smith, but when I pulled up a color chart online it looked much lighter. I was thinking of bumping up the chocolate to .25# and also subbing in C40 rather than C20. This shows the color going to around 26/27 which seems more in line with a Porter. You think that will have any major adverse effects on my current recipe?

The BJCP guidelines show 22 - 35 SRM. So either way is within style, if that matters.

I would darken the crystal before adding too much chocalate malt, I dunno. Maybe because I like crystal malts in dark beer. My advice is worth every penny you pay for it.

Anyway, for many of the clones I read about here, the authors describe going through many batches trying to dial it in. I'm sure you will enjoy the journey!

The recipe looks good, with or without the changes you're talking about. 1/4 pound of chocolate malt won't be too much, that's still only about 1/2 a pound of roasted malts in total.

Back