Shepherd's Pie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dataz722

Reaction score
I have been wanting to make shepards pie for a while now and I figured what better time than now. Ok, I lied it is actually cottage pie since it isn't lamb but just swap out the beef for lamb and you got shepard's.

DSC_0025.jpg

A couple things missing from the picture but it is pretty much everything. Didn't come out looking the best but it tasted pretty damn good for version 1.0. It needs a little tweaking but its pretty close.

DSC_0028.jpg

Yeah, I know the pictures suck but I was lazy.

Didn't get any pictures of it after some was scooped out because next thing I knew it was pretty much empty.

May I suggest, as one who has made many a Shepherd's Pie, that after putting the meat in the dish, covering with potatoes, and heating for a while to ensure everything is at the right temp.... Flip the oven over to broil, and score the top of the potatoes with the prongs of a fork so that you have many parallel ridges. Place it under the broiler until the top starts to brown.

You know, I've never made it with beer. Always stuck to my mum's way of making it... Not sure I can mess with the tradition instilled in me; I can't even bring myself to add cheese to it!

May I suggest, as one who has made many a Shepherd's Pie, that after putting the meat in the dish, covering with potatoes, and heating for a while to ensure everything is at the right temp.... Flip the oven over to broil, and score the top of the potatoes with the prongs of a fork so that you have many parallel ridges. Place it under the broiler until the top starts to brown.

I thought about doing that but was in a hurry and everyone was bitching that they wanted to eat.

Yeah I agree with cranking up the oven to brown the top.

What kind of beer did you use? I like a good porter in there.

It was an oatmeal stout. Its the only thing I had that wasn't on the hoppy side. I think anything really roasty would be good. It was roughly about half beer half stock.

I've made a bastard version of Shepard's Pie with ground turkey before. Pretty decent. I still haven't made one the traditional way with lamb yet.

fixed. ;)

Did you use instant mashed 'taters? I have found that the extra effort to make them fresh doesn't really help these types of recipes...

No, I have only ever had one instant teters I thought were any good and they were "cheesy" kind. I didn't think that would go to well. Plus mashed taters are easy as hell to make and everything else was from scratch so there was no point not to. Hell, I even ground the meat myself.

I've made a bastard version of Shepard's Pie with ground turkey before. Pretty decent. I still haven't made one the traditional way with lamb yet.

If it was just the wife and I then I would have gone with the lamb but we had my parents and sister over and apparently my sister would have thrown a fit and refused to eat if it was lamb. Plus that would have made it considerably more expensive.

No, I have only ever had one instant teters I thought were any good and they were "cheesy" kind. I didn't think that would go to well. Plus mashed taters are easy as hell to make and everything else was from scratch so there was no point not to. Hell, I even ground the meat myself.

yet, you didn't spend the extra 5 minutes under the broiler? :D

If it was just the wife and I then I would have gone with the lamb but we had my parents and sister over and apparently my sister would have thrown a fit and refused to eat if it was lamb. Plus that would have made it considerably more expensive.

Yeah, that was pretty much why we didn't go that route: money. I do prefer the taste of lamb to turkey or beef however.

I have been wanting to make shepards pie for a while now and I figured what better time than now. Ok, I lied it is actually cottage pie since it isn't lamb but just swap out the beef for lamb and you got shepard's.

Shepherd's pie is a relatively recent term (1880s, if I recall correctly) and has, for most of that time, been used interchangeably with the older term cottage pie. The idea that shepherd's pie must be made with lamb is even more recent, and appears to be a result of folk etymology. ("Sheep are made of mutton, innit? So, like, shepherd's pie must have mutton in it.")

Back