carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ritchie

Reaction score
Thinking about using carbonation drop in my bottle beers. Is using carbonation drop better then table sugar?

No. Its more expensive, takes more time and does the exact same thing.

Just boil water, add sugar (dextrose), let cool, pour in bucket, stir, fill bottles.

im a small batch brewer at 2gallons. I use the mr beer system and it works great for me. Thats why i want to use the drops

Its still more expensive and time consuming. two gallons is still a case of beer, that 24 bottles. You need to put about 5 tabs per 12oz bottle. Thats 125 tabs in a 2gallon batch. All the "Carb tabs" are is dextrose and compacted dry extract. In essence your doing the same exact things, just costing you more money and takeing more time. You have to bottle the beer anyway, why not just dump some sugar liquid in the mix and call it done?

With Mr Beer, do you rack to a bottling bucket? I don't think you do. In that case, adding the sugar liquid straight to the fermenter can raise issues of mixing it properly, etc.

It looks like those instructions have you add sugar to each bottle. I was thinking you were referring to batch priming, where you add the sugar to the fermenter with all the beer.

The concern there is that the sugar might not mix properly, and you have to be careful about stirring for fear of oxidation.

Try out the coopers drops. They are indeed more expensive than just using table sugar but trust me it is a whole lot easier and more time friendly as well. I also use the mr beer system and instead of measuring out sugar for each bottle it just takes one carb drop per 12oz bottle. Once you have a dedicated bottling bucket/ container then I could see how using priming sugar would be easier but until then carb drop on!

i ordered 5 packs of the coopers carb tabs. Beings i have several mr beer kegs i turn out a new brew every several days and measuring out sugar just sucks. I going to switch to carb tabs

Latest posts

Back