Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Briskets and pork shoulders

image.jpg

Brisket plans are also on hold. I'm having trouble finding a whole packer anywhere. One butcher I talked to said they simply aren't getting them recently, but instead just getting flats and those are a bit scarce.

Brisket plans are also on hold. I'm having trouble finding a whole packer anywhere. One butcher I talked to said they simply aren't getting them recently, but instead just getting flats and those are a bit scarce.

Try Walmart. Some of the best packer briskests I've smoked are el cheapos from Walmart.

Costco here usually carries USDA prime brisket packers here for $2.99/lb. One of these days i'm going to buy one.

Costco was in fact the first place I tried today. And normally I think they do have them. There must be a shortage around here.

Something about holiday weekends and Costco running out of big cuts of meat for the smoker... learned that lesson before. I do my meat shopping for any holiday weekend in the middle of the previous week.

Nice work chomp! I like your homemade smoker too. How did it do? I also like how you have all your sauces lined up. I think I've been neglecting the sauce that goes along with my smoked meat too long. Anyways wish you lived close by

About to fire up the Brinkmann offset smoker, filled with oakwood. In the smoke box, 6 racks of baby back ribs, one full pork shoulder, one bone-in pork loin roast, two pastramis, a dozen chicken thighs, and a full pack of Louisiana hot links. We'll be vacuum-sealing and freezing most of that!

Loin rubbed with Meatheads' Memphis Dust - Christening a new vertical smoker this afternoon.

Nice work chomp! I like your homemade smoker too. How did it do? I also like how you have all your sauces lined up. I think I've been neglecting the sauce that goes along with my smoked meat too long. Anyways wish you lived close by

Thanks, it worked pretty well. I need to go back over it and seal some spots I missed. Hopefully I will be able to dial it in a little better then. It was never really out of control, I just didn't get more than an hour of sleep.

Rack of pork spare ribs. Cherry and hickory smoked, which I swear by. Rubbed with 2 to 1 brown sugar and salt. What temp would you guys take them to?

I think I got a good probe in it, right in the fattest part. I've been running the Masterbuilt at 250 or 225, according to my Sur La table probe 250 is more like 220 and 275 is more like 250. I guess it just depends on where the thermowell is maybe. Anyways i almost always smoke at 275 looking to get done as soon as possible, and also figuring the difference between an 8 hour and 10 hour pork butt is minimal. Had some extra time today so I'm going a little lower. I'm starting to consider that at 275 the heat can create a bark that can get a little tough and chewy.

I don't run a temp probe in ribs and rarely use one at all anymore. For baby backs I run a 250*F to 275*F smoker for four hours then start probing with a wooden skewer. If it slides in they're done. If not I leave em on and Ck back in 30-45 min to see how they are.

Rack of pork spare ribs. Cherry and hickory smoked, which I swear by. Rubbed with 2 to 1 brown sugar and salt. What temp would you guys take them to?

I think I got a good probe in it, right in the fattest part. I've been running the Masterbuilt at 250 or 225, according to my Sur La table probe 250 is more like 220 and 275 is more like 250. I guess it just depends on where the thermowell is maybe. Anyways i almost always smoke at 275 looking to get done as soon as possible, and also figuring the difference between an 8 hour and 10 hour pork butt is minimal. Had some extra time today so I'm going a little lower. I'm starting to consider that at 275 the heat can create a bark that can get a little tough and chewy.

Agreed with brewbama... No need for a probe in ribs. With the bones and the shape, it's hard to get an accurate and representative temperature.

Go until you start seeing pullback, and then you can use either the "bend test" or "probe test" periodically to check for doneness.

What is in the bottom of the cabbage? Love braised cabbage. Never thought of smoking it.

The only thing I did to the cabbage was core it, add salt and pepper to the cavity, stuff it with about half a stick of butter, wrap it in foil, made a ring of wadded up foil to keep it upright, place it in a foil pan, and put it on the bottom rack of my cooker. When the ribs were done, I stuck the wooden skewer into the foil wrapped cabbage and it slid in very easily. I unwrapped and ate it. It was awesome.

The only thing I did to the cabbage was core it, add salt and pepper to the cavity, stuff it with about half a stick of butter, wrap it in foil, made a ring of wadded up foil to keep it upright, place it in a foil pan, and put it on the bottom rack of my cooker. When the ribs were done, I stuck the wooden skewer into the foil wrapped cabbage and it slid in very easily. I unwrapped and ate it. It was awesome.

Well, I'm sold. I'm smoking a cabbage next time I put something on there. I usually only use the top rack anyway, so plenty of room for veggies underneath.

It's not quite smoking per se, but we're roasting up a 50lb whole pig over a homemade pit Saturday for a big party.

We did it last year and it was amazing, can't wait for this round!

It's not quite smoking per se, but we're roasting up a 50lb whole pig over a homemade pit Saturday for a big party.

We did it last year and it was amazing, can't wait for this round!

throw some soaked hardwood chunks in the coals...now you're smoking

This evening's meal is St. Louis pork ribs done in a Masterbuilt XL propane smoker; mostly hickory with a little apple wood mixed in. Three racks of ribs for me, mom and the girls, and all the trim pieces for maybe just me. :)

DSCN1244[1].jpg

DSCN1245[1].jpg

Back