made some progress on my bar build/ keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

802VermontHomebrew

Reaction score
The bar is pretty small it fits 3 bar stools though... long story short I went to home depot buying some wood to build a "workbench"... well when I got home and had a few beers (I got to thinking, man it would be really cool if I had a bar down here!) So I quickly ditched the idea of building a "workbench" and went for a bar instead... I had leftover wood so I made a start on a top for my keezer... I have decided I am going to make (2) 2 tap towers one on each side... hence the divider in the middle... I am planning on doing some tile work and building a backsplash of some sort... this is my first build so I am sure I will have a bunch of questions once I buy all the supplies. Friday is payday haha I will ask a bunch then I am sure... Well, enjoy the pictures this is just the start... BTW I will be adding sides to the bar/painting it to make it look a little nicer..

What's your plan for getting in and out of the keezer? I've been struggling with that for a while. I had a keezer with a tiled top attached to the lid. But it was a pita to get kegs in and out of the thing.

haha yeah I was wondering the same thing... I will probably build another "bar" but custom fit the chest freezer underneath.. I will cover the front like I did the bar but leave the back open (where I will leave the front of the chest freezer facing for easy keg access). That way I wont have to worry about lifting a hevy lid, and I will just leave enough head space where it wont be an issue... I will probably drop the lines from my tower directly and wrap them in foam tubing to reduce sweat.

Sweet man, who needs a workbench when you can hang out at your bar all day.

Where is the keezer going to be relative to the bar? I ask because maybe you could incorporate them both into one another and have more barspace?

Looks like you got the itch and decided to scratch! I like it! One word of advice, make sure you plan a little ahead of the game. I ran into a mishaps with my build (mostly not accounting for hardibacker dimensions and such), you'll have to either redo the work or modify it on the fly. Sometimes this can cause less than desireable results...

thanks for the post kpr121.... I will be facing the taps section at the end of my bar making an "L" shape, which will have the end result of more bar space... That was my plan with connecting the two... if I want more room after that I will build another one on the other end and have a "U" shape (that would be ideal.)

ok heres the update... I spent all last night making a solid base with planks across it for the chest freezer to sit on... Today I added legs to all 4 corners and attached the top... By the time that was done my battery died on my drill so I had to put it on the charger. While downstairs I heard the dog barking (it was the mailman dropping off my supplies) YAY! Both my dual tap towers and my manifold has arrived. All that I have left is hooking up all my lines and I am ready for drinking AT MY OWNNNNN BAR :) My only question now is can I drill 4 holes through the back on my chest freezer anywhere? The way I set it up is the chest freezer is facing backwards I am going to drop lines from the top of the bar and sneak them in through the back (all 4) so I dont have to drill through the lid allowing me to still open and close the lid from the back so I can easily disconnect kegs, and lift them in and out. I was worried though because while feeling around I felt some warm spots (I'm guessing heater coils etc.) Where is a safe bet that I can drill into the back without doing damage to anything? Posting pics of the progress I am headed down to snap pictures. BTW I moved the previous bar I built and connected the two together.

new pics up... sorry its still somewhat of a mockup but I figured instead of trying to explain the current setup pictures would be much better!

I have a very similar chest freezer and I would not suggest drilling through the back. Go through the top and give yourself enough slack to open and close it. I have 13 feet of beer line for each tap as it is so I have plenty of slack regardless. I live at 5300 ft. elevation, but I will bet you will want more than the 5 ft those tap towers come with which will give you plenty slack to drill through the top. Just my 2cents....

I have two dual taps mounted directly on top of my chest freezer atm.

DSCN5330.jpg

you cant beat budlight in the summertime man... its great keg beer.... dont worry I love my own homebrew a bunch (especially what is pictured above) that is an autumn amber ale! really good if I do say so myself!

you cant beat budlight in the summertime man... its great keg beer.... dont worry I love my own homebrew a bunch (especially what is pictured above) that is an autumn amber ale! really good if I do say so myself!

:off: You might not be able to beat the price, but there are lots of alternatives to BMC (PBR, Lionshead?), given it's available in your area. I'd rather drink tap water than BL, they don't get a dime from me.

Anyway, nice build you got there! :rockin:

haha didnt want to start a budlight debate.... trust me i went out to the bars for the first time and didnt really feel like drinking commercial beer so I had screwdrivers all night... I went home and had my homebrew... I dont drink bud light all the time, I do however enjoy them after mowing the lawn etc..

as you can tell from the pictures I ran out of blue paint on the countertop where the seats are (i only got one coat)... the paint is a gloss paint but if you only apply one coat its almost a flat paint and not a glossy, you really have to apply it thick.... So tonight I am going to sand that layer off and just stain it like I did where the taps are... I should have done that from the begining.. I got a little carried away with the blue lol.

Back