Brew Kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickeldeposit

Reaction score
A few weeks ago there was a thread that had several websites that sold affordable brew kettles. For the life of me I cant seem to find using the search. Can anyone help?

Sams Club has aluminum stock pots online. This is the one I have and am happy with. 10 gallon pot and lid, delivered, under $50. Only thing is you (or someone you know) must have a membership.

I've read that aluminum can give off flavors (or something to that affect), have you had any problems?

I'm looking at a Bayou Classic 60q ss stock pot. Is there any reason that any stock pot couldn't be drilled and fitted with a spigot and thermometer? The prices for some kettles are just outrageous. Why not just build your own a lot cheaper?

Oh boy. You don't know what you've started here! The aluminum brew kettle has been discussed/argued over many times. Check out this link, among several others. In short, no I haven't noticed any off flavors. That being said, I have only brewed a handful of batches in my kettle. Many people on this forum do use aluminum pots, however.

I'm looking at a Bayou Classic 60q ss stock pot. Is there any reason that any stock pot couldn't be drilled and fitted with a spigot and thermometer? The prices for some kettles are just outrageous. Why not just build your own a lot cheaper?

A lot of us do this ,use a step bit some oil and these fittings weldless he is a vendor on this site

this one was less than 120 dollars complete. the thermo was an ebay 20$ buy it now deal

NewHLT.JPG

while its for my HLT it can be a boil pot also. 2 valves so I can either set up a HERMS or a RIMS system when i get to that stage of brewing

I remember that thread. Someone posted this one and I bought it. Haven't brewed with it yet, but I received it pretty quickly and its a solid kettle.

Back