beer explosion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaybaah

Reaction score
this is my 8th batch of beer and this never happened before it is a honey brown ale fermented at 70 deg and the beer began to rise clogged the air gap solid built up pressure and blew out the top of the carboy this happened the night i brewed [sunday] so on monday i noticed this happened i cooled the beer down and now it is stable. so my question is the beer good or is it ruined?

Good news! You have really good fermentation going on with this batch. :D Rig up a blow off tub or you might be repainting your ceiling with beer next time.

More good news! Your beer is not ruined. During strong fermentation CO2 is coming out with enough pressure to prevent anything bad from going in to your beer.

Welcome to HBT!

Oddly enough I did an RIS last night and 4 hours after putting it into the primary I painted my bathroom imperial stout color. 3 hours later it was finally cleaned and still bubbling away

What size carboy did this happen to? I have a 6.5 gal glass carboy, and wouldn't have ever thought to use a blow off, but after reading these forums I'm paranoid now...

What size carboy did this happen to? I have a 6.5 gal glass carboy, and wouldn't have ever thought to use a blow off, but after reading these forums I'm paranoid now...

I use the same thing, and I've had a few that wanted to escape. No explosions though. The worst one pushed the air lock off and foamed down the sides. The other two just got into the air lock and bubbled up out from there. Maybe a blow off would be a good idea.

We recently made a 90 Shilling clone which fermented so hard that it blew the entire airlock off, not just the top cover (as we've seen a couple of times). The airlock shot off, hit the 10 foot ceiling in our spare bedroom.... time to get the mop from the kitchen. I see blow off tubes in our future, too.

Time to lose the airlocks and just use a loose cap of sanitized tinfoil. Just sayin'...;)

An inverted jelly jar works quite nicely as well.

Back