Noob considering electric brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norselord

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a jacketed system for electric brewing.

A sort of double walled containment, where the outer wall contains a directly heated fluid, which transfers heat to the wort on the inner wall?

I would prefer not to have a heating element touching the wort.

If you're worried about an element touching the wort directly, use a HERM coil. Going with a double-jacketed system for mashing seems like a ton of expense for something that probably doesn't warrant that much complexity.

jmo, of course.

EDIT. Sorry. I misread. You want this for the boil. I still think double-jacketed for heating is overkill.

I just finished my electric HERM build. The HLT element just heats water. The boiling kettle is also electric but I've had no detectable problems with the wort contacting the element. I love it - brew in my basement year round. Super stable mash temps.

What made you decide to use "steam" as a search parameter rather than oil?

Found this one:
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/cle...bletop-steam-kettle/390KET6T 208*2403.html

I am willing to bet that with some good shopping a unit like that can be had for ~$2,500 or so.

That's an electric steam kettle that runs on 3-phase power, not something we have in US residences. I don't see what oil has to do with it. $2500 is still very expensive for a beer brewing application.

Actually:

12 gallon version on CL for $1,500 ... http://columbus.craigslist.org/bfs/3648197838.html

That might just be worth the drive...

A better price, but it runs at 440/480v. I don't know whether it would get hot enough to boil at 220/240v, as it will only run at 1/4 wattage. Also, 12 gallons is fine for batches up to 8 gallons or so, but I would worry about boilovers for anything much larger.

What do you have available for power supply, i.e., voltage and amperage?

A better price, but it runs at 440/480v. I don't know whether it would get hot enough to boil at 220/240v, as it will only run at 1/4 wattage. Also, 12 gallons is fine for batches up to 8 gallons or so, but I would worry about boilovers for anything much larger.

What do you have available for power supply, i.e., voltage and amperage?

I can get what i need, did you have something else in mind?

That's an electric steam kettle that runs on 3-phase power, not something we have in US residences. I don't see what oil has to do with it. $2500 is still very expensive for a beer brewing application.

Look at it over 3 years, or 600 gallons. Adds about $4.50 to the cost of each gallon brewed. I have a location that I can brew at that has 440/480

Look at it over 3 years, or 600 gallons. Adds about $4.50 to the cost of each gallon brewed. I have a location that I can brew at that has 440/480

If you have 440/480, then that one on ebay is a great value. It's still not necessary for beer brewing, but it's your system, so your call.

If you don't want an element in the kettle, search for a high power induction hot plate and compatible (magnetic) kettle. Jacketed kettle is not economical on the home brew scale. Even a 3 vessel (herms) system can get expensive. Many people maintain mash temps w/out adding heat using the tried and tested cooler MLT.

Is there such a thing as a jacketed system for electric brewing.

A sort of double walled containment, where the outer wall contains a directly heated fluid, which transfers heat to the wort on the inner wall?

I would prefer not to have a heating element touching the wort.

Yes, jacketed steam cookers and jacketed oil cookers. Both are designed for rapid boils in larger volumes. Steam is preferred, (speed and thermal transfer efficiency). Once the pressure is released the temp will all but cease heating. Oil jacketed (using food grade HTO) requires a more advanced controller as the oil in the jacket will continue latent heat on a slight ramp, (requires a more predictive controller).

Back