What to do with sanke spears/valves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what to say about bubba and Darth Maul, but I do have a question about sanke spears. I'm assuming that these spears are full size for 1/2 bbl kegs? Can they be cut down to fit a 1/6 bbl keg?

No height difference between 1/2 and 1/6 barrel kegs. Diameter of the keg is what's different. You can even get slim/tall 1/4 barrel kegs that use the same valves.

I was ready to rip my eyes out, pull my ears off, and then do some real damage. :eek:

If I EVER make a video like that, I hope someone has the decency to put me down. :tank:

Well, judging by many of your threads and some of the georgous DIY/equipment I've seen on your posts, I don't think you'll have to worry about that. I'm sure your videos would be just as awesome. :pipe:

I still like the video;)

Well, judging by many of your threads and some of the georgous DIY/equipment I've seen on your posts, I don't think you'll have to worry about that. I'm sure your videos would be just as awesome. :pipe:

I still like the video;)

You mean the video's I'll never make?? I don't even like having pictures taken of me, let alone video.

I'm a firm believer of the KISS principle in many things. Instructions is one of them. Short, to the point, so that you don't lose the audience. at over 7 minutes for the first part, he lost me when he spent a few minutes on what he made to cut the keg top.

You mean the video's I'll never make?? I don't even like having pictures taken of me, let alone video.

I'm a firm believer of the KISS principle in many things. Instructions is one of them. Short, to the point, so that you don't lose the audience. at over 7 minutes for the first part, he lost me when he spent a few minutes on what he made to cut the keg top.

I'll admit, that begginingg part was a little boring since cutting kegs and varous jigs have been nearly beaten to death on youtube and some are better with a camera and presentation than others.

But, the making of the venturi and burner using what is on hand along with some ingenuity is what I liked.

Guess we'll just agree to disagree. :mug:

Don't argue over a video guys. You are two of my favorite dudes around here. It makes me sad to see you fighting:( Dan, does your mom have your bird shot? J/K guys.

Ishchavio, we are going to have to drink a beer or six together someday. Golddiggie will be there too.

I'll host... :eek: :D

I'll admit the IDEA of what he was doing is ok, just his presentation skills are not there. I also had to use headphones since my speakers sheet the bed the other day (getting new ones today I hope).

Looks like I might have someone to take at least some of these off my hands. Not sure about all of them yet, but I suspect he won't want all of them (different lengths depending on the keg they came out of.

Maybe I'll cut one short, drill into the ball (to pass one of my temperature sensors) and secure it to the lid I use for my mash tun (the top I cut out of my BK). I won't use a retention ring, so it will be easy to remove. :D I've been wanting to drill spots in the lid for the sensors for a while, but this could be better. :D

raouliii said:
At the risk of pulling this thread back from the brink. :)

I used a spear for sight glass protection.

I have been saving my spears for the same use you need to do a thread on your kettles id like to see how you did yours.

No height difference between 1/2 and 1/6 barrel kegs. Diameter of the keg is what's different. You can even get slim/tall 1/4 barrel kegs that use the same valves.

This is only true for SOME 1/6 kegs. I have a few 1/6 kegs whose spears are about 1.5"-2" shorter than all the others. The kegs are all the same height, but the bottoms of the 1/6 kegs don't go down as far in the center.

This is only true for SOME 1/6 kegs. I have a few 1/6 kegs whose spears are about 1.5"-2" shorter than all the others. The kegs are all the same height, but the bottoms of the 1/6 kegs don't go down as far in the center.

Then it would be a matter of figuring out what length (exactly) the keg you have really needs.

I've posted this before, but those spears are EXACTLY 1" in diameter, and you can use one with some abrasive paste to lap your scope rings when mounting a scope on a rifle or shotgun instead of buying one of those lapping rod things. Worked perfectly for me.

Now thats a plan I can get behind. I do have a set of rings that need lapping..

I had too many to try and figure out what to do with. Took them to the scrap recycler along with a few hundred other pounds of steel/copper/etc. Got enough to get a sack of 2-row.

Ok shmeglie, I'll see about making a blowergun out of a couple. Might be difficult to get them perfectly aligned for the welding though. :eek: Maybe it will be a project for when I get an electric welder (whenever that happens)..

This makes me so happy! You and I will go out and shoot 'em and drink beer together ...just like in the stories.

I was thinking this one, like as soon as you get them made right? Don't do this to me dammit! We NEVER do things together.!

Dude, you KNOW how the Yoopers feel about me. :eek: Remember what happened last time I tried to go through them? I was cleaning the gore off the front of the truck for DAYS. :D

If you're actually serious about heading out this way, we could fabricate a couple here. Maybe convert the tops into tap handles too... If could just sell the damned SKS's, I'd have the funds to get my mini lathe and then we could be in business.

Dude, you KNOW how the Yoopers feel about me. :eek: Remember what happened last time I tried to go through them? I was cleaning the gore off the front of the truck for DAYS. :D

If you're actually serious about heading out this way, we could fabricate a couple here. Maybe convert the tops into tap handles too... If could just sell the damned SKS's, I'd have the funds to get my mini lathe and then we could be in business.

I don't remember (never heard) but NEVER swerve for roadkill. Did you kill anything worth eating?

I think you should move here. I'm soon moving out of my house. I'll give you a great deal on rent! We could do things if it weren't for the distance...

I don't remember (never heard) but NEVER swerve for roadkill. Did you kill anything worth eating?

I think you should move here. I'm soon moving out of my house. I'll give you a great deal on rent! We could do things if it weren't for the distance...

I just moved a few months ago. Besides, I hear your gun laws suck out that way. :eek:

Seriously? We have laws? I don't have handguns but I have plenty of firepower. I prefer to kill silently with a sanky spear blowgun. I poison the darts with infected wort.

Back