Kegerator or Keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need one or the other to serve my Corney's from. Is there a current model fridge that will hold 2 or 3 Ball Locks? What is the word on the small freezer's? I know they have a hinged top, but is that a plus or minus? I found one (freezer) at Lowes that looked like it would hold 3 kegs and a tank, for 168.00. Just not sure on the hinged top.

If you are going to want to go with more than 2 kegs, then I suggest either an old upright, or better yet, a small chest freezer. You can easily modify the freezer to work, and the only thing you'd need to use it is a temp controller.

Decide if you want the taps on the front (collar), or a tower on top. Advantages to both. With collar, you need to build a collar. With tower, you might not be able to open the freezer without it hitting the wall behind. Personally, I'd go with collar, even though I prefer the look of the tower. I think a frezer would be nice in that you dont' generally have to move one keg to work with another like you might with a fridge. Plus, routing the lines would likely be a bit easier too.

Hey RonRock,

You will probably get some pretty good info in the keg/bottling forum.

Here is the link, Bottling/Kegging - Home Brew Forums

I think alot has to do with the space you have to put either a Kegerator or Keezer. I have a freezer and love it!!

A keezer wil be much more energy efficient albeit with an additional, initial up-front cost for the thermostat. The insulation tends to be thicker than a fridge, and you don't lose a good portion of your cooled air when lifting the lid.

On the other hand, you do have to lift full kegs up and over the edge of the keezer.

Back