CO2 Bottle Certification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markymarx

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can either get bottles certified or exchange for certified and full bottles?

Got one empty and another almost empty that are not certified and would prefer not to have to buy new.

Most Co2 refill shops now offer (maybe prefer) an exchange. I'm not sure what you have down there, but I've got several up here in my small town area. I have mine refilled at the local welding shop.

I use a fire safety shop for my refills. I believe they do hydrostatic testing too. Something like 15 bucks to hydrostatic test and recertify (needed every 5 years). The refill on 5# is around 11 bucks, refill on 20# around 16 bucks. My LHBS charges $25 for an exchange of a 5# tank. I would call around to welding shops, fire safety shops, LHBS, and AirGas or Praxair to see what they charge for hydrostatic testing, refilling, and/or exchanging tanks. Refilling is generally cheaper after it becomes recertified. You may be able to exchange for less than a hydro test + refill, but you may receive a tank that is close to expiring.

Anyone know where I can either get bottles certified or exchange for certified and full bottles?

Got one empty and another almost empty that are not certified and would prefer not to have to buy new.

Fire Defense in Royal Oak is where I typically get it done. Airgas in Ferndale is a good option as well... Airgas is cheaper for large 50lb+ tanks but more expense for smaller tanks.

Fire Defense in Royal Oak is where I typically get it done. Airgas in Ferndale is a good option as well... Airgas is cheaper for large 50lb+ tanks but more expense for smaller tanks.

Thanks!

Talked to Airgas and they want $48 a bottle and would be 3-4 weeks to get it returned.

Other alternative I have found is Wine Barrel Plus at 30303 Plymouth Rd, Livonia, MI 48150. They would exchange a past certified bottle 5 lb bottle for $30 they said. Will see what Fire Defense comes back as our fire extinguishers are old as well and need to be inspected before making the trip to Livonia.

Thanks!

Talked to Airgas and they want $48 a bottle and would be 3-4 weeks to get it returned.

Other alternative I have found is Wine Barrel Plus at 30303 Plymouth Rd, Livonia, MI 48150. They would exchange a past certified bottle 5 lb bottle for $30 they said. Will see what Fire Defense comes back as our fire extinguishers are old as well and need to be inspected before making the trip to Livonia.

any update on this? im in ferndale and looking for best place to buy/refill/exchange co2 tanks.

Dropped one empty bottle off that is 13 years out of certification on Saturday. Didn't sound like there would be a problem and I'm just waiting to hear back that it is hopefully ready. It was implied they do the hydro testing on site.

Dropped one empty bottle off that is 13 years out of certification on Saturday. Didn't sound like there would be a problem and I'm just waiting to hear back that it is hopefully ready. It was implied they do the hydro testing on site.

Where? How big of tank and how much $$?

Yeah Fire Defense does do it on site.. but not immediate. I've had 4-5 tanks recertified there. One tank they tested and it passed. Then when they were screwing the valve back on they sheered it off... They made it good by giving me a larger tank to replace it...as well as the recertified tank back (no valve obviously). When you take a tank in for a fill they do it on the spot... but the test takes them a couple days.

Thanks!

I use Wine Barrel Plus for my refills. I think it's like $15 for a 5# tank in cert..

Fire Defense hydro tested the bottle and its good for 5 years. Overall price was in the low to mid $40's and was done quickly. Much faster than Airgas or Praxxair.

Will be taking my 2nd bottle there soon to get hydro tested as well.

I live near and work in Grand Rapids, MI.
Carbonic Systems here in GR wants $60 and a few weeks to ship out the bottles and get them tested and back. Don't recall what the refill of a 5# bottle costs.
Anyone have a better/cheaper/faster safe solution in the area?

Latest posts

Back