Furious Fermentation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich1852

Reaction score
I am in the process of brewing my second batch, a Festa Brew Wheat Beer. Followed all the instructions. It took longer to start fermentation....started it on Saturday night and then maybe late Sunday started to notice the bubbling....then it went absolutely nuts! constant....foam started to come out the top of the bubble lock. Is that unheard of. It has calmed down to almost nothing today, but a while there it was kicking. Major difference from my first brew (Coopers Bavarian Lager).

Started with an OG of 1.050, will probably check it this weekend.

Thoughts? Comments? Is this normal?
:confused:

6 days in fermenter. OG was about 1.050, not it reads about 1.015. Will check tomorrow and hopefully bottle on Sunday. Tasted it....actually, not too bad at this stage.

Is 1.015 a decent reading to bottle a wheat beer??

Hefe's are notorious for very active fermentations. It's real important to ferment in the range your yeast calls for. Some people don't even bother with brewing in summer because of high fermenting temps. :mug: Speaking of which I need to brew a Hefe!:mug:

It smelled terrible when it was fermenting, now isn't too bad. Have a beer belt on it and had been in the 68-70 degree range.

I see your 'furious' fermentation and raise with @#%$@$ fermentation. Put your next brew on the yeast cake from this brew. If you do this please use a blow off tube or put the fermenter in a room that you want to smell like beer. :rockin:

I bottle Festa Brew Wheat a week ago. My batch did the same; very fast fermenting and intense krausen. Two days later and the FG was obtained! I left it there, in the primary, for 5 days as per instructions then in the secondary for 10 days.

I've made a check, after 6 days bottled, and it taste pretty good but still lack a bit of fizz...

Here was my wheat 6 hours after pitching a healthy starter.

2107426790101759406S600x600Q85.jpg

Back