Not much fermenting action

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPAbrewing

Reaction score
Hi!

So i made my first GF beer and it is in the carboy ready to be bottled tomorrow. I'm a little concerned it may be bad though, for 2 reasons: (1) hardly any fermentation looked like it was going on. My beers normally fuzz up and bubble and have a lot of activity, but the GF barely had a few bubbles come out of the blow-off tube! Is that normal? and (2) it is kind of a strange color! i made a "pale ale" but this is not a normal color, it is very light and has almost a green tinge!

Should i just taste it before i bottle it and if it's crap, just dump it and try again? i mean i don't really want to go though all the trouble of bottling a bad brew!

Any thoughts? Thanks so much!!

How about an explanation of your process and recipe?

I will note that all of my GF beers seem to ferment rather quietly; I've never had a blow-out, and rarely see much krausen. So that in and of itself is little reason to worry. I never use blow-off tubes, never ever ever. I don't know why these beers ferment so quietly, but they always do. 30 batches under my belt, and never have I needed a blow-off tube.

1st things first. Relax and have a beer. Gluten free beer is going to always act different.

1. Did you use yeast nutrient? Gf wort ferments slower, up to 4 times as slow. You will very rarely see a krausen.

2. If your beer is pale the hops will turn it green. After fermentation they'll drop out of suspension and the beer will be yellow.

Ps it's good courtesy to put up your recipe so more experienced brewers can help. Not having a go at you, just trying to be helpful.

Gf grains especially sorghum ferment much more slowly than barley

Back