Another Stuck fermentation question...sorry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartman

Reaction score
AG imperial stout with OG of 1.091. Stopped at 1.030. Mash was 154F for 90 minutes. I was looking to finish at around 1.022. Yeast was WLP001 with a 2 liter starter.
I have a packet of Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast. Can I add that and will the fermentation continue? Are there other options? I also have a packet of Notty and S-05.

How long has it been in the ferementer? What temp is it sitting at right now? Have you tried to rouse the fermenter at all?

One week seems a little short considering it's fermenting on the low end for the yeast and the gravity is pretty high. Give it at least 3 days before taking another reading. It may have just slowed down. You are at 67% and the yeast is rated 73%-80%. With a mash temp of 154 my guess is that it stops at 74% or 1.024

One week is too short for a 1.091 brew. Give it a couple more weeks and then check the gravity.

Update. Stirred up the yeast cake and let it sit. Still at 1.030. Tastes great, a little on the sweet side. I like sweet stouts. Guess it is as low as it is going!

Back