Recipe research

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cisteve

Reaction score
Do you guys have any recommendations for starting a recipe from scratch? Just for recipes in general after decideding which specific styles you're going with

So which particular styles are you wanting to do? I've tweaked some recipes by taking a kit recipe and changing it some, like adding a little more gravity or hops

One of the most important books for any home brewer: Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels. This book made recipe design one hundred million times easier (and better) for me. It's well written and once you get between its covers it becomes immediately apparent why it's been so successful for so long.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0937381500/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually start by browsing through a handful of recipes that other people have brewed and reading their notes. Also, the BJCP style descriptions often describe a place to start.
After that, I usually start building up. Most of the time I plan to rebrew a recipe at least once to perfect it, so I try and generate a moderate starting place.

+1 to Designing Great Beers.
That and some decent brewing software. I use Beersmith.

Another good software research is beercalculus (works cause I'm on a mac).
beercalculus.hopville.com
It'll also let you keep a recipe database and look at other recipes etc.

Back