Hive Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evenstill

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m going to be brewing a couple of 3 gal batches of mead (one sweet and one dry) soon and wanted to get some feedback. I want to make Hive Mead which is where, in addition to honey, you add all of the other bee products too (pollen, propolis, & royal jelly) rather then using yeast nutrient/energizer. Does anybody have any experience with Hive Meads? Any tips, tricks, or technique suggestions? :confused:

Luck,
evenstill

I've never heard of hive mead, but you may want to add the yeast nutrient as well. I know that it contains the necessary nitrogen for the yeast, unless one of the hive ingredients will add that as well.

Vermicous said:
I've never heard of hive mead, but you may want to add the yeast nutrient as well. I know that it contains the necessary nitrogen for the yeast, unless one of the hive ingredients will add that as well.

Both pollen and royal jelly will supply nitrogen.

flowerysong said:
Both pollen and royal jelly will supply nitrogen.

This would seem to be a more traditional way to make mead, from a historical point of view. I'm going to have to look into this!

Back