DFH 120 minute clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question...should I rack it off the cake today, or give it a few more days to clean up?

Mine ended at 19%, FG 1.016. I left it in the primary a little over a week after the readings were steady for two days, and I haven't noticed any ill effects from this. I kegged it Sunday to carb up, and at kegging it was beautifully clear and tasted fantastic. I'm sure it won't hurt to keep it on the yeast as long as you feel comfortable to get it cleaned up.

Mine ended at 19%, FG 1.016. I left it in the primary a little over a week after the readings were steady for two days, and I haven't noticed any ill effects from this. I kegged it Sunday to carb up, and at kegging it was beautifully clear and tasted fantastic. I'm sure it won't hurt to keep it on the yeast as long as you feel comfortable to get it cleaned up.

I racked it last night... and was SHOCKED at the shallow yeast cake. Makes me think there's quite a bit of the 099 still suspended and it was mostly 1056 in the bottom. I literally expected a good gallon of yeast. Ended up racking almost 95% of the pre-ferment volume to secondary into the V-Vessel. Looking like ~4 gallons.

Added about half a bottle (.50oz) of biofine to encourage more settlement. I don't plan on dry hopping for a week or two.

I suspect the following to contribute to the low final gravity:

1. Low, and I mean LOW mash temp. This was a mistake, but it paid off. I mashed around ~145-146 for between 90-120 minutes. Minimized the unfermentables, I assume.

2. Small additions of corn sugar. Kept her hungry. I addded ~2.9oz 3 times a day to a collected wort volume of 4 gallons. 7AM, 1pm, 7PM, until I used an entire 4 lb. bag. Then I stopped...even though she wanted more. Stopped at 1.009-ish. She kept going until 1.0025-ish. What a ho.

3. Never let the actual wort temp climb into the 70's. This was surprisingly easy, since I never had a violent fermentation once. Perhaps because I didn't throw the entire planet's population in yeast into the fermenter. I only pitched the slurry from a 2L 1056 starter (1.040) to get it going. Then I pitched the entire 2L starter of 099 from the actual wort (1.096) 4 days later, but it was COMPLETELY fermented out -- no flask bubbles on stir plate for at least 2 days before pitching.

Hopefully this will help others.

Thought I'd share this. Carbed nicely for bottle conditioned.

Cheers.

image-2741883511.jpg

hopcop said:

Nice. That's pretty much exactly where I'm going to end up, +/-.5%. What did you do for yeast before bottling it? It can't possibly have carbed from the battered yeast it fermented with... Can it?

hopcop said:
I bottled this beast last Tuesday. I finished at 1.006 with a 14.87%ABV. I used 3.8oz of corn sugar with 1pt of water. I used Champagne yeast as well. Lalvin EC-1118. I heated up 1pt of water to 105*F and pitched yeast. Set for 15mins. Stir and let cool to equal temp of priming sugar. Combined the champagne yeast and priming sugar. Pour in when racking to bottling bucket.

This worked very well as you saw.

Cheers.

I just checked gravity on mine. It is from 1.120 to 1.008. I just used finings, and I am then going to cold age it for a month before I start the dry hopping. It tastes wonderful. Very little alcohol character considering it is 14.45%

Well i read this thread in it's entirety. I'm very keen to try this recipe. I have to admit I have never had this beer but the enthusiasm of the participant won me over.

I have found a US website that can ship to ireland at a cost but I'm motivated.

I see that some of you are using hops and hops pellets. Is there a reason why the mix? Can this be done entirely with pellets.?

I never decanted a starter let alone made such a big starter as the one you made Scotland (6000ml) So what volume is left after decanting it to pour into the wort.

Is there any update on the possibility of priming with champagne yeast as I do not have a kegging system. Did anyone tried it and care reporting the result?

Thanks for an entertaining thread. Looking forward to brew this beast.

Well i read this thread in it's entirety. I'm very keen to try this recipe. I have to admit I have never had this beer but the enthusiasm of the participant won me over.

I see that some of you are using hops and hops pellets. Is there a reason why the mix? Can this be done entirely with pellets.?

I never decanted a starter let alone made such a big starter as the one you made Scotland (6000ml) So what volume is left after decanting it to pour into the wort.

Is there any update on the possibility of priming with champagne yeast as I do not have a kegging system. Did anyone tried it and care reporting the result?

I brewed a seven gallon batch with about 17 oz's of hop pellets alone and it came out great. I let it sit for two months for some of the alcohol to mellow a bit and i just kegged yesterday at about 1.006 and about 23-24 percwnt alcohol. It is deliciousand i recomend giving it a try if possible

Akavango said:

I would recommend making the starter in steps to ensure healthy yeast growth. You don't want to stress the little guys out. Make the starter two weeks before your brew day. Cold crash it for a few days. This will flocc the yeast to the bottom. On brew day pull the starter out of the fridge and let it come to room temp. Just before pitching, pour off most of the liquid above the yeast cake leaving a little behind. Swirl it up to get the yeast cake off of the bottom and pitch. It's that easy.

For the champagne yeast, I have wonderful results with this technique. I posted a pic a few pages back with it carbed nicely. I used Lalvin EC-1118. Heat 1pt distilled water to 105*F pitched the entire pack. Wait 15mins and stir. I then added it to my priming solution which was 3.8oz of dextrose/1pt water when the temps were equal. Pour in bottling bucket when racking. It took about 3 weeks to start seeing results. My beer finished at 14.87% so it's a little lower than the other guys here. Later today I plan on sharing one with a friend so I will post a updated pic to show how it's carbed.

I used all pellets with my version as that's what I had on hand. I don't think there is a difference just preference I assume.

Cheers.

I brewed a seven gallon batch with about 17 oz's of hop pellets alone and it came out great. I let it sit for two months for some of the alcohol to mellow a bit and i just kegged yesterday at about 1.006 and about 23-24 percwnt alcohol. It is deliciousand i recomend giving it a try if possible

Good to hear. 23 to 24% That is mighty strong beer. Can wait to see the result of mine.

I would recommend making the starter in steps to ensure healthy yeast growth. You don't want to stress the little guys out. Make the starter two weeks before your brew day. Cold crash it for a few days. This will flocc the yeast to the bottom. On brew day pull the starter out of the fridge and let it come to room temp. Just before pitching, pour off most of the liquid above the yeast cake leaving a little behind. Swirl it up to get the yeast cake off of the bottom and pitch. It's that easy.

For the champagne yeast, I have wonderful results with this technique. I posted a pic a few pages back with it carbed nicely. I used Lalvin EC-1118. Heat 1pt distilled water to 105*F pitched the entire pack. Wait 15mins and stir. I then added it to my priming solution which was 3.8oz of dextrose/1pt water when the temps were equal. Pour in bottling bucket when racking. It took about 3 weeks to start seeing results. My beer finished at 14.87% so it's a little lower than the other guys here. Later today I plan on sharing one with a friend so I will post a updated pic to show how it's carbed.

I used all pellets with my version as that's what I had on hand. I don't think there is a difference just preference I assume.

Cheers.

Thanks for the info for both the starter and the champagne yeast. I really appreciate.
I guess I'll be brewing it in about a month when i get my ingredient from the US.

How many vial of White lab do you put in the starter? More than 1? or do I just start small then feed it to his pitching size.

Wow. That's a pretty incredible result. You're up in Utopias territory there.

I will double check my math and my notes on it today but it came in at like 1.08 and took about 12 pounds of sugar in 4.5 gallons. It tastes strong but even the swimbo liked the hydo sample hot and flat and shes not much of a beer drinker. I cant wait till it is dryhopped and carbed

Akavango - I'm warning you, keep crosses, holy water, rosaries away from this beer, it will start to smoke otherwise.

:D

Still haven't kegged mine, wife's due date is SATURDAY! HOLY HELL! Stressing here, fellas. Now's the time I could USE a 120. I may keg'r up tonight, we'll see........

Wow. That's a pretty incredible result. You're up in Utopias territory there.

Alright.. checked my notes. 7 gallons broken into 2 seperate ferm schedules. OG was 1.080. 4.5 gallons took 10lb10oz of dextrose ended at 1.006 the second batch 2.5 gallons took 3 lbs 8oz of dexrrose and ended at 1.000!!!!! Looks like 24.5 and 19.5%

Im not dillusional and figured my hydrometer was off but in distilled water it is right at 1. How much does the alcohol content skew the readings? The bigger beer is absolutely great warm flat and no dryhops. Im gonna keep it simple and easy on drybop and carb

2012-05-17_19-38-57_458.jpg

It definitely skews the readings; just like wine commonly finishes below 1.000. You guys are really taking this recipe and running with it. Awesome brewing!!

It definitely skews the readings; just like wine commonly finishes below 1.000. You guys are really taking this recipe and running with it. Awesome brewing!!

it is suprisingly good and easy drinking at only 2 1/2 months old. Thank you for planting the "silly idea" of such a crazy beer in my head

Did you degas the sample? If there is latent Co2 it could be a little higher than that. Pretty freakin low though.

Akavango - I'm warning you, keep crosses, holy water, rosaries away from this beer, it will start to smoke otherwise.

:D

Thanks for the advice, I can see a church from my window, will make sure to keep the curtain closed the entire time...
Good luck with the Baby.

kosmokramer said:
How do you degass? The was co2 i could seee the bubbles rising

I just put my thumb over the sample, and shake it a few times and then release my thumb. Repeat 3-4 times, and them come back to check it 10 minutes later when the foam has subsided.

This tasted so good still im not sure how much i should carb it. I dont want to loose anytjing.. hmmmmm

Officially in the keg. Hitting it at 30 then dropping it to 11 tomorrow night... Pretty excited to pour my first pint.

Kosmos please stop teasing me.

This is by far the best and most difficult brew i have made. The sugar additions require prettygood sanitation practices and alot of effort. I plan on 1 a month for the next couple years and to brew this annually

My favourite bar tender as a couple of those beers. He keeps it for a special occasion. I guess I will have to try to bribe him with one of my clones.
I will brew it in about a month. I have been brewing like a mad man, 6 brews a month and all my soon to be free buckets are already taken for another brew. Plus the ingredients that I ordered from the states migh take a while to arrive. I cannot wait.
Kosmos enjoy your beer and Jsmith I hope that first pint is delightful.

Purged this morning then dropped it down to 11. Smelled fantastic when the excess pressure blew out the pin :cross: There was a small second where I thought to myself "My boss will never know if I get a coffee on the way to work, that will cover up the beer breath..."

:mug:

I just bought the hops and the yeast from Morebeer. $51 shipping charge plus ingredients. this better be a good beer.

I'm reusing my yeast, does potentially since there is 2 yeast in it? can it be reused and will that change the beer dramatically. I suppose you could do a couple of starter with the washed yeast, one for the initial pour and another for the second pitching of yeast.

If you use Pellets does it alter the yeast or can it be washed out of it.

Do you guys have any though on that?
I haven't made the first batch but already thinking of the second...

I just bought the hops and the yeast from Morebeer. $51 shipping charge plus ingredients. this better be a good beer.

Ooof! Dedication sir, I see it in you :mug:

If it turns out bad, better beat yourself up b/c in the end you will be to blame :ban: This beer rocks, lots of fun, lots of work, but truly it's a labor of love and the end product is fantastic to drink, share, discuss - I mean c'mon, it's a 17-23% ABV home brew! The versions in this thread that evolved from the original HBC 120 clone IMO are a lot more balanced and are creating a more rounded, level product. Stick to your plan, don't tread to far off the path - pitch the correct amount of yeast and keep up with your sugar additions however eagle eye that gravity and micro manage it, a little yeast nutrient never hurts. Baby it. I recommend you finish low <=.015 - the amount of sugar will justify the low FG, believe me - it can get pretty sweet if you don't sink it.

I haven't attempted to harvest a yeast cake off of this yet but for your shipping costs I definitely don't blame your for trying, I will say that the amount of hop fall out and trub and muck that comes with this beer in the end is incredible, my 2012 batch produced just a hair over a full gallon (probably could have filtered better when pouring in), so you'll have a little work ahead of you no doubt. I guess if I were to try I would attempt to take a few smaller samples in mason jars and grow them a bit before sealing and storing.

Good luck man, have fun. Pics or it never happened ;)

I could have made a couple batches for the shipping charges.
I'm dedicated. As for the yeast I will see what can be done about it when the time comes.

I can't wait to make this one and further more to taste it. I'll read this thread a couple more time before I get started and off course I might have a few question but cost of the beer aside I want it to be great.
Thanks

True story, I just racked from my keg to a bucket, then back to the keg. The beer clogged the dip! Tried everything (topic is in the BB forum) and this was the route I had to go. The beer now in the keg is nice and clean, poured a pint and it worked fantastically. Little carbonation..

but.....

MMMMMMmmmmmmmmm...

Back