How to transfer carbonated soda from 2 L. to bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duganderson

Reaction score
I'm interested in carbonating soda in 2 Liter bottles using my carbonator and then transferring carbonated soda to 12 oz bottles and capping.

Can this be done easily without losing all the carbonation? Can I just pour it from 2 liter to bottles with funnel (or will I lose most of the carbonation). I know I want the soda very cold when I carbonate it but do I want it cold during the transfer too?

Thanks, Doug

How many volumes of CO2 are you using?

12oz glass bottles or 12oz plastic bottles?

Watch out if you are doing glass. If I recall most sodas are carbed to 3-4 volumes and most glass bottles are made to withstand 2-2.5 volumes. (you will need to check on this)

As far as the transfer, just get them very cold and pour. I wouldn't even bother with a funnel. If possible, carbonate them to your desired volume of CO2 in the refrigerator and then chill the bottles a bit more in the freezer. Just pour slowly and deliberately and you should be fine. Don't try to overcarb to compensate or you will just make it foamier and you'll end up losing more CO2.

Back