kickin around idea for my next brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyo1977

Reaction score
I made a brown ale last month that was great but i wasn't satisified completely. I was looking for a bit more fullness in the mouth feel. I was thinking about doing it again but adding some victory to the mix. but as i sit here trolling through recipes and threads I have a idea for my next beer.

I am thinking about doing the brown again and adding some cherry smoked malt. Was thinking about a pound. what do you think??

It was a simple recipe:
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 83.72 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 11.63 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.65 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 17.8 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.6 IBU

The smoked malt might add a nice touch but it will not add fullness. You can increase your mash temp, btw what was your mash temp? Or you can add some wheat or a dextrine malt like carapils. You may also be wanting more of a porter than a brown ale. If that is the case I have a smoked porter that I will be carbing over the next few weeks. You could come sample it and work around my recipe. I am near West Chester.

There are so many routes to go if you want more mouthfeel. I'd say the first thing to do would be increase the OG, if you're okay with that. I like my brown ales at least 1.055-1.065.

As for grain additions, you really need to look for proteinous grains. Stuff like victory will make the flavor more complex but it won't physically increase the mouthfeel. I recommend something in the range of 3-10% oats, flaked barley, carapils, wheat or rye malt.

You can also mash higher for some extra thickness.

Finally, a less attenuative yeast can do wonders for mouthfeel, if you don't mind a touch of extra sweetness. Don't listen to chodes on HBT who think that a couple points of higher final gravity will make your beer taste like syrup. If you want to go extreme, try English Ale (WLP002 or Wyeast 1968). If you think you want less maltiness than that, try the other American Ale strain (051 or 1272).

i did use a English ale yeast I think it was 1968. I am going to do the same recipe it was tasty but I just wondered what people thought about adding smoked malt and how much for a 5 gallon batch.

Back