Proper welding techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there are points in your brew when you are not boiling correct? just like why would i back purge a water line in a process plant when i know their goin to clean it with boiling acid? because its the proper method......plus if i saw you had "surgar" on your welds on ur keg i woulnt drink that beer....

My first pot was a 10 gal Polarware, ouch. I took it to a guy that said, "Oh yea I can weld sanitary stainlesS." He burnt the hell out of the pot, no purge, and created sugar mountain on the inside along with his filler wire hanging in the inside. That said, I've made award winning beer in that kettle w/o any problems. I used it for everything, as it was my only kettle. It bothers me every time I see it, but I've had no issues. I have learned to do my own stainless welding. It may not be pretty, but it's mine. I think this issue is overstated about potential problems. I wouldn't want to use it on the cold side for sure. If it were still the only kettle I had, I would still be brewing with it today frowning everytime I looked at it.

yeah its an iffy...i mean...it could growbacteria.....it could not....i personally wouldnt take the chance...let alone its a quality issue with me....why screw it up when it could done correctly

There's not much to worry about with a boil kettle. Still, a smooth weld would be nice.

I find sanitary welding to be an extreme challenge. The next time I have a stainless project, I'm probably going to silver solder it rather than weld. I never seem to be able to eliminate ALL of the imperfections, no matter how careful I am with back purging. I think my issue is heat control rather than weld protection.

i can give you some pointers if your interested....id rather see you weld it....but thats cause i LOVE to weld

I'd rather weld it, but I just don't TIG weld often enough to stay in practice. I can usually get into the swing of things pretty quickly with mild steel, but I don't do enough stainless to keep my skills where they need to be. I have only myself to blame - I'm sitting 15 feet from the TIG rig in my garage.

if you make the hole just barly big enough to let the face of the coupling touch the face of the keg wall witch i have filed an polished to remove natural oxidation...then i do a fuse pass at about 40 amps...then i go over that with 1/16 304 fill rod...and i always careful which way i push my heat...any questions feel free to ask

i back purge then tack weld the very edge to the edge of the keg wall....none of the fitting in the keg..after ur done welding u should be able to run ur finger on the inside
2010-05-15092752.jpg

Tig, beautiful looking welds. I like the flush mount, should there be an "issue" with the purge or procedure, the weld can be cleaned and additional filler can be added if needed. Again nice finished product.

Not a technique question (yet), but an equipment one...
I have never held a tig torch, but since my debacle getting kegs welded I'm interested purely from a hobby perspective. I've been "browsing" for a tig welder for home. I'd like the ability to tig stainless as well as aluminum so I know that means an ac/dc welder.

I have no idea where to start with evaluating a used welder and new ones with reasonable power & functionality get pricey real quick.

What are your thoughts on an entry level ac/dc welder for a home hobbyist?

Ed

Edit: Wow, I posted this from the first page of this thread before seeing the pictures. VERY nice looking welds.

thank you...do some research on the welder..ive seen little machines that do ac dc liftarc stick and a plasma all in one...just dont remember the name right off hand

Looks like us brewers have the market on AB kegs being our first choice.
Your 94 miles north of me, bet just as cold also.
I ran across a used Miller Synchrowave 250 word of mouth, wet torch with cooler plus
250 bottle w/ ball flow and regulator in great shape go for $1,200, my friend snagged it.
It has the pulser option plus operates like new a 1992 year item. They seem to be rare
as welders hanging onto them. www.Cyberweld.com has the best prices with new welders.

thank you...do some research on the welder..ive seen little machines that do ac dc liftarc stick and a plasma all in one...just dont remember the name right off hand

Tigmaster... Thanks for responding. I hope I'm not hijacking your thread to far off base, if so, I'd be happy to start a new thread.
I know bad67z has experience in the industry too and would really appreciate any direction either of you (or anyone else) can offer.

I like the idea of getting a plasma cutter included for next to nothing.

Here is one that I found:
http://www.everlastgenerators.com/PowerPro 256-380-pd.html

Of course their own reviews are very good. On a couple welding forums that I read it usually turns quickly into a "don't buy Chinese" war when someone asked for an opinion.

I did read that some folks don't care much for the stick holder and that switching back and forth from welding to plasma is a bit of a pain.

How do you think the features of this machine stand up?

Ed

Looks like us brewers have the market on AB kegs being our first choice.
Your 94 miles north of me, bet just as cold also.
I ran across a used Miller Synchrowave 250 word of mouth, wet torch with cooler plus
250 bottle w/ ball flow and regulator in great shape go for $1,200, my friend snagged it.
It has the pulser option plus operates like new a 1992 year item. They seem to be rare
as welders hanging onto them. www.Cyberweld.com has the best prices with new welders.

BrewBeemer, Here is a syncrowave 250 I'm watching on ebay. Not the same deal you got, but I've been watching then for a while and this one is currently in the ballpark.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110615436833&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

My problem is I don't know what features it may be missing that will cause me to kick myself when I learn a bit more.

I don't know how to evaluate it or test it. The seller is actually a welding supply, so I'm thinking it "should" be in decent shape if they say it is?

I have a friend of mine who used to weld professionaly and now does side work. Most of his experience is in Aluminum and Steel. I don't know what brand Tig he has, but he doen't have alot of experience with Stainless Steel. I have 3 kegs and 9 couplings to be welded in. I punched the holes and the couplings are a tight fit.

Anything, Sugestions or other wise I can tell him to make his job easier?

Cheers!

just fit the edge of the coupling flush to the face of the keg....i make a fuse pass first...with everything back purged...then i do a fill pass to rid of any undercut

I have a friend of mine who used to weld professionaly and now does side work. Most of his experience is in Aluminum and Steel. I don't know what brand Tig he has, but he doen't have alot of experience with Stainless Steel. I have 3 kegs and 9 couplings to be welded in. I punched the holes and the couplings are a tight fit.

Anything, Sugestions or other wise I can tell him to make his job easier?

Cheers!

MMurray, I would suggest you or better off your welder read up on "sanitary" type welds. This if done properly and back purged, should eliminate the oxidation refereed to as "sugar" on the back of the weld . OhioEd hosted one of the most informative threads I have seen on this forum. You can read it here. Cheap or free welds are awesome, ruined kegs suck!

I am wanting to set my Mig up to use for Stainless . I got a roll of .25 dia 308L wire but haven't bought the gas yet should I get a tri-mix or will 100% argon work to weld on a keg? The tri-mix is dam pricey and after I get my welds done it will probably just set around.

you guys are lucky...these are my moneymaking tricks....i charge 35 coupling 25 to cut the lid out...and i polish cause it looks hot

I am wanting to set my Mig up to use for Stainless . I got a roll of .25 dia 308L wire but haven't bought the gas yet should I get a tri-mix or will 100% argon work to weld on a keg? The tri-mix is dam pricey and after I get my welds done it will probably just set around.

yeah you need to have tri-mix to weld ss with mig process...the helium in it is what makes the magic happen

Tig, beautiful looking welds. I like the flush mount, should there be an "issue" with the purge or procedure, the weld can be cleaned and additional filler can be added if needed. Again nice finished product.

after i tape my purge back on i support it with a locking tape measure to hold the backer firmly in place:rockin:

it depends....my gas hooks directly into my welder and comes out as soon as the tungsten hits the metal...you dontwant to much backpurge or it will blow thru ur weld....

If I recall correctly, I think Ed's welder used the threads on the fitting and ran the gas outside to in. had to be a bit of a PIA to weld around the hose.

That's correct. I told him he could punch a hole in the can if he wanted, but he ended up running the gas in through the coupling from the outside.

To be honest, for all I know he never used the purge. The welds were far from perfect and the purge was something I tried to offer him to help.

Cheap or free welds are awesome, ruined kegs suck!

I already learned this the hard way! My brother worked in a shop that welded Stainless pipe all the time! Has Excelent welders. I gave them directions as best as I could get from the boards here and told them how I wanted it done... tried to coordinate for me to be there but they said they would do it during working hours as the boss didn't want to start having everyone in the shop after hours all the time doing projects! So they took a plasma to the tops to cut them out... I told them to put water in the kegs to prevent slag from ruining the inside of the kegs, but I was told it wasn't needed and I could just wipe the kegs out afterward. I think it wasn't theirs so they didn't really care... BROTHERS! Anyway, instead of drilling or punching a nice clean hole in the side for the coupler they cut those with a plasma too! You know how hard it is to get a nice clean weld with gaps? One of which was as much as 1/4"!!!

That's why I'm getting a friend who I trust and who has no problem with me being there to help!

They say don't work with family!!! Now I know why!

yeah thats crazy....i use a step bit to get to the right size hole....make the two faces of the keg and the coupling just barly touch and i make a back purged fuse pass...and leaving purge on... i do a filler pass...and i would never use a plasma...i use a thin disc and run it round till thru

Damn bro you must be King Kong wrestling with ".25 dia 308L wire", you forget a zero maybe?

Back