John Palmer's Mash/Batch Sparge Formulas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I'm finally moving into the wonderful world of all-grain brewing (just built an MLT)... very excited but I have just a few questions so bear with me... any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

(the following equations are from Palmer's "How to Brew")

So I've run through the equations for calculating infusion temp/volume (let's assume a single-infusion mash) and also for revising the grain bill via batch sparge calculations, along with all of the other outputs that come from batch sparge formulas.

The outputs from the sparge calculations include a new grain bill, strike water volume, and water-to-grist ratio.

Do I now go back to the Strike Water Temp formula [Tw=(0.2/R)(T2-T1)+T2] and replace my original values with the new grain bill (lbs.) and water-to-grist ratio? Or do my original calculations still hold?

One more thing: Palmer assumes that a standard (continuous) sparging yields an 80% efficiency, while batch sparging yields 75% (on average). Does this mean that I should calculate my original grain bill at 80% efficiency, then run the batch sparge calculations to get a new grain bill?

Sorry for all of the questions... I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Thanks Everybody

For the strike water temperatures see http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml, and make sure you have preheated the MLT before you add the grain. Many people add the water about 10 F too hot, and then stir it well. When it cools to the required temp (a few minutes) the MLT will be nicely warmed up.

For your first brew, I would assume about 70% efficiency. Once you have done a brew or two, you can adjust the efficiency up or down to suit your equipment.

-a.

Thanks a bunch... so I should calculate my grain bill based on a 70% efficiency, and then let the sparge formulas adjust the bill as such?

Answered my own original question... I just had to look at all of the equations, find the common variables, and factor in the water-retention coefficient. Slow work day!

Thanks for the help.:rockin:

Back