Name that Infection!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KerryD

Reaction score
I've seen pictures of this one, but I can't find a good descriptor of what to expect... the sample tasted fine. It's been in 2 weeks, I dry hopped today and this was waiting for me.....

100_4184.jpg

Without seeing the colonies a little closer, I couldn't say. Kinda looks like mold though - if it is, unless it's SUPER infected, it won't affect the taste. If it refuses to clear, then you can 'narrow' it down to haze-related infections. On the plus side, it can't kill you - and if it hasn't changed the taste, woot!

It looks like what I had, which I always thought was lacto. I was never positive though.

So with Lacto do I toss it or rack out from under it? The sample was clear and the taste was fine.

was that layer on top before you dry hopped or after? I remember seeing a thread like this before and someone posted a very similar picture and the general consensus was that hop oils can make a film on top of your beer. those big spots look like CO2 bubble trying to escape, so maybe you dry hopped before fermentation was complete?

but if it tastes fine I wouldn't worry about it. just rake from underneath the film and tall it good.

It was before I dry hopped.

I'm going to bottle it tomorrow and we'll see what happens.

Lactobacillus will eat your priming sugar so you will probably be under carbed. Besides that it can still be a tolerable infection if you notice it at all. Lacto is the same bacteria used to make yogurt and produces lactic acid as a by product. I've had this kind of infection and used the beers to make black and tans to make up for the carbonation problem.

Back