Grape soda recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty uncomfortable with the idea of just refrigerating bottles of soda that have live yeast in them and plenty of sugar. It just seems like you're destined to some exploding bottles in the fridge.

If I was going to make that recipe, I'd cut everything in half and put it in a 2L soda bottle. Less dangerous if it does explode, and you can easily vent it if it gets too hard.

I don't know how much like "grape soda" that's going to taste - artificial grape flavor has a very different flavor than grape juice does. If you're looking for a more authentically grape, it's probably fine.

I'd skip the boiling, fill a 2L bottle with half grape juice, half water, 1/4 to 1/2 cup of sugar (you can taste it to see how sweet you want it), and 1/4 teaspoon of yeast. Consider adding a little lemon juice if you feel like it needs a little bite, but keep in mind that carbonation will provide some bite as well.

If you want more grape flavor, or a more "soda-y" grape flavor, supplement the juice with some grape extract.

I've used that recipe many times. Like the Lep says, skip the boiling. Just make sure you use warm water to start the yeast. Sweeten it to taste, you can even cut back on the water a bit if you want a stronger flavor. My theory of soda is, if it doesn't taste good before it's carbonated, it probably won't taste good after.
No, it doesn't taste like grape soda. It is so much better than that. It's a joyously fizzy grape juice sensation. Everybody who has tried a batch we've made either loves it, or well, they were a waste of good soda.
The Lep had a good idea, next time I brew this up, I'm going to add some lime to it.

Ingredients My Bar
1/2 oz Vodka
1/2 oz Blackberry Brandy
1/2 oz Blue Curacao
1/2 oz Raspberry Liqueur
1/4 oz Sprite
2 oz Cranberry Juice
1 oz Sweet and Sour Mix

Directions
Fill a collins glass with ice then build the drink starting with the blue curacao. After you pour the cranberry juice you'll want to give it a good shake and then fill with a splash of soda.

There is little reason to go thru those gyrations. Just add a bunch of bread yeast directly to a plastic bottle of store bought grape juice, sit for a few hours till it bulges, chill, and pour from the half or full gallon container whenever you want (will regenerate bubbles). Works best with crangrape... a lot of grapejuice is a composite anyway nowdays if you read the label.

Back