wooden brew paddle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you could I would really like to see your paddle design.. i was kinda thinking about playing around and making one...

You can buy a 36" paddle for ~ $8. I've seen these at home depot and academy, in addition to various places online. May be easier for some than cutting your own.

BTW - I didn't do anything to mine. It's a little dry after a few dozen brew days, but when it finally wears out about 10 years down the road, I'll just buy another for $8.

mixing_paddles.jpg

You can buy a 36" paddle for ~ $8. I've seen these at home depot and academy, in addition to various places online. May be easier for some than cutting your own.

BTW - I didn't do anything to mine. It's a little dry after a few dozen brew days, but when it finally wears out about 10 years down the road, I'll just buy another for $8.

mixing_paddles.jpg

Hey Lil'Sparky,

I should head over to HD and check these out; what's their 'intended' use?

Crawfish boils, I think. That may be a seasonal item for HD. I know Academy carries them year 'round. Other sporting goods stores that carry turkey fryers and other burners probably will, too.

they sell em as "crawfish and gumbo paddles" here
ive used mineral oil for cutting boards and just whiped it over and over again and let it soak in good. gives the wood a nice finished look and helps prevent contamination from meat.. and its oderless and tasteless soooo... guess i will just try it anyway..

There's no question that the oil will help preserve the wood, but we're not talking about cutting boards. We're talking about wooden sticks you stir your grains with.

The question is, do you want the mineral oil in your mash/beer? I'd say no. Not worth it IMO.

mixing_paddles.jpg

I would probably think about cutting an oval hole in that... I think some open space would be effective for breaking up dough balls... Think that's possible?

I just use a big wooden spoon for now.

I would probably think about cutting an oval hole in that... I think some open space would be effective for breaking up dough balls... Think that's possible?

I just use a big wooden spoon for now.

You could just bore several large diameter holes in the paddle if you didn't want to cut one large oval.

Latest posts

Back