Fining question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbg96

Reaction score
Hey smart people -

Rookie batch here, an IPA that seems to be progressing well. I really want to get this thing as clear as possible.

I've scanned through some of the threads and so am pretty interested in the gelatin technique. My equipment, etc, is pretty limited though, so some things like cold-crashing and kegging just aren't in the picture.

My question is this: Given it's an IPA and I'm prepared to wait about three weeks before taking it out of the carboy (been in there now about ten days), and considering I've got the carboy and a five gallon bucket by way of equipment, what is the best way to get it clear - and I'm a foolish noob so need reeeeeaaaaalllllyyyyyy clear walk-through help for any responses.

Thanks much for reading...

StarSan your Ewuipment....Cleanlieness and Godliness and all.

Heat 1/4 cup of water to 160f
add 1 packet of Knox gelatin and let set 10 minutes, then wisk, let cool for a few more minutes then dump it right in the primary, in 4 or 5 days, you'll have clear beer.

Keep an eye out for Globs of gelatin when you rack. They will eventually settle out.

Back