Chill haze in an extract batch???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhys79

Reaction score
I brewed a Coopers kit, and I'm getting chill haze when I refrigerate it. Just a slight cloudyness, not a big deal, but was wondering if this is normal?

It's only my second brew, and my first was a stout, so I wouldn't have noticed it in the first batch.

Normal... not sure how long you left it in primary/secondary, etc... but longevity certainly helps cure chill haze along with the addition of irish moss during the last 15 minutes of the boil.

Finally, put your beer in the fridge and let it cool down for a week before drinking will also help. If all this does not really help you could consider some sort of fining agent like geletin at the end of your secondary.

Clairity has always been a struggle for me, certainly through my extract days, and now as an AG brewer.

It spent a week in primary and two weeks in secondary, been in bottles for two weeks. It was a no boil kit, so no boil to use irish moss in. Crystal clear till I put it in the fridge. It's not a big deal, just didn't know if it was normal with a no boil extract kit.

Here's an article on improving clarity.

Chill haze is primarily caused by proteins and (possibly) contaminants. Proteins come from the malts and grains you use. Contamination could be caused by underpitching yeast (no starter), not cooling your wort and pitching your yeast quick enough, or poor sanitation.

Cheers,
Brad

I make a whole lot of the no boil kits and that chill have is not uncommon. For me it is hit or miss sometimes I get it some times i dont. I find the lobger it is stored in the bottles the better. As these guys mentioned as well if you can leave it in the fridge for more then a week to chill it usually does the trick.

It will taste as good either way so no need to worry :)

Thanks for all the info. I don't have the fridge space to store all of them cold for extended periods of time, so I guess I just live with it.

Latest posts

Back