~5 white grains and glossy film on surface

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottfro

Reaction score
So I recently brewed a blackberry ale. Added frozen blackberries (unpasteurized) to the secondary after fermentation was basically complete. Left them in for about a week then racked. After 4 days or so I noticed a few white dots on the surface and a filmy layer. So I racked again below the surface and left the top layer behind. Now another 2 days later I'm seeing the same stuff going on.

I'm using oxysan for my sanitation.

Is this contamination or something else? I tasted some of the beer upon racking it off the weird surface the first time. It tasted fine.

Is this worth bottling?

scottfro said:
So I recently brewed a blackberry ale. Added frozen blackberries (unpasteurized) to the secondary after fermentation was basically complete. Left them in for about a week then racked. After 4 days or so I noticed a few white dots on the surface and a filmy layer. So I racked again below the surface and left the top layer behind. Now another 2 days later I'm seeing the same stuff going on.

I'm using oxysan for my sanitation.

Is this contamination or something else? I tasted some of the beer upon racking it off the weird surface the first time. It tasted fine.

Is this worth bottling?

Good chance it's an infection of some sort since the blackberries were unpasteurized. If it tastes and smells good though, might as well bottle it and see :)

scottfro said:
After 4 days or so I noticed a few white dots on the surface and a filmy layer.

Lots of my brews get a white film over the top. Sometimes they trap some gas into little pockets and it really looks nasty. Doesn't affect the taste of the brew, though. If it tastes fine, bottle away.

I'm starting to think these may be bubbles as Fingers said. When I noticed them the first time and moved the beer to transfer it seemed that they all disappeared from the sloshing around during transport. I just jiggled the carboy around a bit to get the surface moving and it seems that again these white spots break up a bit. Is oxysan known to leave a filmy surface on the beer?

Back