Keeping the fermentation cold.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I bought a kit, and the instructions said to keep it cold... Use a damp towel and a fan. To warm it up use a dry towel. Yeah, this is nice but their has to be an easier way. I was wondering about mini-fridges. How you can you use one as a fermentation chamber?

They're are a few ways. The most common I've seen, and the one I went for because it also seems the cheapest ($50 not counting the freezer), is wiring a two stage temp controller. I used a 14cuft chest freezer because I hope to make a lot of beer. Youtube and this forum are overflowing with instructions and tips.

Hmmm. Never thought of that.... Well, I got it in my fridge right now. My actual fridge. Because it's day two and it still hasn't hit the second stage due to not cold enough. So hopefully I just remember to keep warming it up because my fridge goes down to 40 and I need this to be between 60 - 65

Yeah, unless you're lagering, 40 would be WAY too cool. Depending on the yeast strain 60 maybe as well. Depending on your climate, you might be able to set the fermenter in a dark corner of the house. The yeast generate about 5-10 degrees in the first 4-5 days so keep that in mind if you decide to try to regulate with ambient temp.

Well so far, Day 2. I got a stick on temp thing.... It's showing greenish on 68 and dark blue on 66.
33ttqvs.jpg

This is what it looks like right now. I was told the lagering stage takes only 24 hours. So im a bit worried im not getting it cold enough.

I use a mini fridge and a chest freezer with a temp controller. But without this, get a rubbermaid cooler and add water in it close to or lower than your desired temp (assuming the beer is warmer than the water) The water surrounding your carboy acts as a buffer with its extra thermal mass, prevents temp fluxuations.

If you really are fermenting one gallon at a time as seen in your pic, I would assume the $60 temp controller and $100 dollar fridge would probably an excessive purchase

What about a swamp cooler? I put a plastic tote in my spare bath, (as its the darkest room in the house) put cold water in the tote about 1/4 of the way up, then add the 6 gallon carboy. I can regulate the temp by adding 32oz. ice bottles and taking them out as needed. If I need to warm it up, I dip water out and replace it with hot water. It's proven to be winner keeping my current batch in check.

image.jpg

Topher-strange way to use a bung (no pun intended). never thought to use it upside down. what got you to try that?

Topher-strange way to use a bung (no pun intended). never thought to use it upside down. what got you to try that?

When I bought my starter kit from the LHBS I opted for the glass carboys, but they gave me the pieces for better bottles and buckets. I was just using what I had available, as the LHBS is a hour away. It fits really snug, and has worked fine for 10 batches...even with this one at the verge of adding a blow off tube, and I haven't thought to buy the correct one.

I use a mini fridge and a chest freezer with a temp controller. But without this, get a rubbermaid cooler and add water in it close to or lower than your desired temp (assuming the beer is warmer than the water) The water surrounding your carboy acts as a buffer with its extra thermal mass, prevents temp fluxuations.

If you really are fermenting one gallon at a time as seen in your pic, I would assume the $60 temp controller and $100 dollar fridge would probably an excessive purchase

Oh this is only a start. I plan on moving up fast. I'm either gonna get another 1 gallon so i can rack(or have 2 brews going at once). Or im going to start looking into bigger sized ones. So, I'm really considering a mini-fridge. Because I can get them used cheaper then $100.

So, I'm really considering a mini-fridge. Because I can get them used cheaper then $100.

If you're going the freezer/fridge route (which I did at the very start since I already had a spare chest freezer sitting unused in the garage), you can do it pretty darn inexpensively.

1) STC-1000 controller (get the 110v version, Amazon or eBay) wired up with a standard outlet mounted in a plastic box. I used an old computer speaker case for the box. It will keep your fermentation at whatever temp you set it (I set a +/-0.5C)

Follow the Youtube video here for wiring it -- There are also a few simple wiring diagrams on this forum.

2) A very effective and cheap heat source is the DIY paint can heater found here -- http://brewstands.com/fermentation-heater.html With a 90 watt bulb, mine gets very warm quickly.

By using some stuff I already had laying around (paint can, cord, etc), I rigged the whole thing for about $30. I love being able to precisely control the temp. Set it and forget it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lagering takes 6-8 weeks at the coldest possible temps without freezing. i.e. 34°F. Not 24hrs. Just a heads up there. Keep reading man, you will get there.

O.O Man this guy needs to do more research before making a guide for the kit he sells then. His step by step said 24 hours. Then he's telling me because of the weather its no surprise that laggering is taking longer then 24 hours. So, I can have it as cold as 40?

Back