Anyone travel long distances w/ a CO2 Tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatwad

Reaction score
So I have googled a few responses, but I thought I should probably put it up to the good folks of HBT first.

So I'll be moving soon, and the movers would not pack up and move my full 25LB CO2 Tank. I'm trying to decide if I should just throw it in the car and take my chances? I'll be traveling about 2000 Miles, and stopping along the way.

I understand heat is my big concern. And I'll definitely be backpacking on part of the trip, in which the tank would probably sit in my vehicle...possibly under warm conditions.

I'm torn , what should I do? Craigslist isnt' coming thru and I need to make a quick decision.

(PS - if you 're in the bay area and want it, just gimme a holler)

Cheers,
Meatwad

I'm pretty sure the moving company won't move it because it is technically a Hazardous Material in the eyes of the DOT. I would just take it with you, if it will be sitting in a hot car for an extended period of time just empty it out before you leave and take the empty tank with you. Granted you'll have wasted some CO2 but its better than giving away the tank

I woudn't do it. I've seen some pics of 'sploded cars from failed CO2 tanks. Maybe you can take it to Airgas (nat'l gas exchange), get credit, and exchange the credit when you get to your destination.

[edit] wrong on the exploded car. It was a nitrous tank.

speedway-truck-and-building.jpg
Around here they deliver the tanks in enclosed trucks that aren't heated or cooled, and they are completely full. I don't see any problem with hauling it that far in a car.
The only conceivable thing that would happen is a rupture disc blows and it empties the tank, and if you were in the car, opening a window would solve that problem. (After you clean the crap out of your pants that is)

+1 Had the rupture disk go on a tank in the back of my pickup once. I was pulling naugahyde outta my but for a week after the way it made my butt pucker.

Around here they deliver the tanks in enclosed trucks that aren't heated or cooled, and they are completely full. I don't see any problem with hauling it that far in a car.
The only conceivable thing that would happen is a rupture disc blows and it empties the tank, and if you were in the car, opening a window would solve that problem. (After you clean the crap out of your pants that is)

Yeah, and then Praxair wonders why they get angry calls about LN2 deliveries being half full. I mean, it was full when it left the loading dock!

just because they do it doesn't mean it's a fantastic idea.

I like the idea of seeing if you can turn it in at the local airgas for credit and then pick up another one at another airgas location when you get there.

That or, crack a window.

I moved from Michigan to Montana a few months ago and put my CO2 tank in my truck with me. I stopped over night, but not for any significant period of time during the day when it was warmer. If you wern't going backpacking I'd say go for it, the car would be running with either the windows open or the AC on which wouldnt make it too hot for the tank but if it sits in a 120F+ car for a day or two you might not get so lucky.

Empty it. If the moving company won't travel with it, then pack it in the car. Empty and the valve open, won't cause any issues, and beats selling the tank for nothing. The couple bucks to refill will be cheap insurance.

You might also see about the credit with somewhere like airgas. Might be worth a shot.

Back