5L minikegs reusable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OtherWhiteMeat

Reaction score
Are the 5L minikegs that you can buy filled with beer such as coors light reusable? Do they make bugs to seal off the red plastic tap and reuse them with a co2 tap, or are their only spacific kegs that are reusable?

Well i want a co2 tap, and that plastic peice is so flimsy/tight, it feels like its going to break already when i turn it. Are there bungs to replace it and seal it off, or do you just close it and leave it when you refill the keg? The tap im looking at fills from the top, and i think i found the bungs for that.

Edit: It looks as though you just leave the tap on the side closed if you have a co2 tapper.

I know that with the gravity tap you should drink the beer within a few hours before it starts to affect the taste, how long do you think it will last with a co2 tap on it?
thanks much!

I imagine it would last a while as long as all the O2 is vented off beforehand. The gravity feed needs air to get into the keg for it to work, which is why the beer would be affected.

What do you mean by venting off the oxygen before hand, if you condition the keg then put the tap on when your ready to drink it, there wouldent be any oxygen in it would there?

So what do you all think about that minikeg system? Is is as good as corneys or acceptable even? It's a cheaper set up if you get everything for 100 bucks.

Looks interesting to me. I'm not sure if I would recommend that over a corney, but it curtainly would be nice for taking on the road and the like.

resurrecting this old thread.....
i have about 45 (yeah, that's a FORTY-FIVE) of these mini-kegs that an old roommate and i bought (they were full of beer at the time). we saved them because we thought they'd be useful someday -- we had plans to build a bar that never quite materialized. anyway, now i'm homebrewing and it'd be pretty convenient to be able to mini-keg all this beer i plan to make.
</unnecessary background>
is it really possible to use the gravity tap on these things? they always seemed to drip a little when i used them the first time -- how could they possibly stand up to the pressure of conditioning?
i was thinking about sealing the gravity tap shut with some caulk/silicone and just tapping from the top...

Back