first time with a keg set up....and issues with keg lid seal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWAMPER

Reaction score
Just got my first keg kit and just want to know if I’m doing something wrong ? got a single premium keg kit form keg connection shipping was quick and all was packaged great pulled the keg out of the box and pulled the pressure release valve and the keg had pressure so all looked good, so I let all the pressure out of the keg and cleaned it all up, and here comes the question/problem had the keg half full of water/cleaning solution and was shaking it around and turned the keg over and water was leaking out of the lid, I tried resetting the lid and flipping it around and still leaking even put a new seal on the lid and still leaking so I thought maybe it needs to be under pressure to seal so went got my tank filled and I could kind of get it to seal but it would not last that long till the c02 leaked out, am I doing something wrong ? the bail latch is not very tight (not much pressure to latch) should there be a good amount of pressure on the latch to hold the lid? Should the keg be water/air tight without any c02 added ??

Thanks

i did put grease on the new o-ring for the lid but still leaked, how tight should the lid latch be when you flip it down ?

The keg will NOT hold a seal until it's under pressure. I have 6 different kegs and all but 2 of them are quirky when it comes to getting a seal. Doing the initial seal around 30PSI and then hitting the relief valve to bring down the pressure helps me a lot. The rest is just fiddling around with the lid until it seals right. I even have one keg that absolutely will not seal unless the lid is facing a certain way. The good news is once you get the hang of it, it'll be second nature to you.

I filled the keg with water and put the new seal in with lube and lifted up on the lid handle to try and put pressure on the seal and it help seal it, I put about 12psi on it then shut the c02 off after it was set (the lid did seal) but like 1 hour later it had leaked out, I’ll give KC a call and see just wanted to make sure that I wasn’t doing something wrong

I've been having seal problems with my keg from keg connection as well. I have to push the lid to the side while latching it down or I get a bad seal because the mouth of the keg is slightly deformed. I tested it several times under about 15psi with some starsan and it pretty consistently bubbled if I sealed it without pushing it away from the direction the seal handle pulls the lid to seal it.

I filled the keg with water and put the new seal in with lube and lifted up on the lid handle to try and put pressure on the seal and it help seal it, I put about 12psi on it then shut the c02 off after it was set (the lid did seal) but like 1 hour later it had leaked out, I’ll give KC a call and see just wanted to make sure that I wasn’t doing something wrong
Your description does not suggest a leak. You had water in the keg and the CO² will disolve into the water thus dropping the pressure. If the keg was empty, then the test would be valid.

I did a write up on keg seal issues a bunch of years ago. I think it might help you find the cause and give you a fix for the issues.
Keg Lid Geometry & Adjustment

I’ll read your info, but it did the same thing with nothing in it, so I tried filling it with water to see if that would help but didn’t seem to help, just hate to fill it with beer and go through all this so trying to figure it all out ahead of time, I did notice that one of the brackets that are spot welded to the lid is bent over some not sure if that’s putting uneven pressure on the lid or not and not letting it seal correctly

Spay it with starsan after you pressurize it to show where the leak is. It could be the relief valve.

did it was the lid, going to go over it tonight and try squeeze the arms in some so it will put more pressure on the lid and double check the keg lip and make sure there is no dents or anything that would let it leak

tried a bunch of things and still leaked so KC sent me a new lid and all looks to be good :ban::mug::ban: been holding co2 for a day so far

I e-mailed them and they are taking care of the issues I had too. Thanks for the help guys, glad I found out before I had an issue that teflon tape wasn't the way to go.

Back