I puree'd my grapes, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am ready to bottle, should I simply rerack and put in some clarifier (I have a packet of that chitin stuff) and bottle after a day or two, or should I do more?

I remember on my last wine kit it actually had me aerate the wine during the end which seems counter to everything I've learned about beer. Should I aerate when I put in the clarifier? I'll also sulfite it as I bottle since I plan to try and age a few of the bottles for as long as I can stand it.

I think the instructions wanted you to de-gas, NOT to aerate.

IMO, aerating a finished wine is like letting toddlers "improve" your walls with Crayolas. :(

I think the instructions wanted you to de-gas, NOT to aerate.

IMO, aerating a finished wine is like letting toddlers "improve" your walls with Crayolas. :(

Hmm I seem to remember it had me stir briskly I assumed that'd aerate it?

So what's degassing exactly?

CO2 builds up during fermentation... as a beer brewer you know this. But some CO2 stays in solution at any temperature and pressure. Not enough to be fizzy, and to give good beer head, but enough to mess with the yeast and whatnot.

The more vigorous the fermentation, the more likely some backpressure from the airlock forced CO2 into solution -- i.e., carbonated your wine.

Stirring will change the pressure in the wine, with the pressure waves giving the gaseous solution enough energy to form bubbles and release the CO2. Did you notice a fine froth when you stirred? That was CO2, as you can verify yourself by trying to breathe it (not recommended). ;)

Degassing is helpful for the yeast, I've been told, but you only want to do it if you are reasonably sure you are not introducing oxygen, i.e., you've been using your K-meta or campden or whatever brand/type/variety of metabisulfite you use.

So, to wrap up:
- oxidation turns wine brown and prevents long term storage
- metabisulfite "crowds out" oxygen, making wine less vulnerable
- a fully fermented wine and oxygen are NOT FRIENDS
- all fermented beverages are to a small extent carbonated during fermentation

Read more of that wine site Yooper linked and you'll understand it all very well. :D

Time is the world's best degasser! If your wine is only two months old, top up the carboy and let it sit. Rack whenever there are lees more than 1/4" or so, in 45-60 days. Think about bottling it only when the wine is completely clear, non-gassy, and no new lees fall in 60 days.

Back