Angle Grinder for Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fusa

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
A keg isn't an incredibly demanding task for an angle grinder; even a cheap one should get you through it if you're patient. Personally I'd recommend getting a nicer one so it holds up when you use it on other future projects, but that's your call.

You need a cutoff disc, as opposed to the grinding wheel which comes with it.

stainless steel responds better to slow speeds, so the tool doesnt matter as much as your patience.

Wow wasn't expecting to find one that cheap, might have to order from them. I was happy find find one for under $30, but $10 is even better.

el cheapos work fine as long as you follow the advice of the posters and don't force it... just guide it and let it do the work.

Somewhere on the site is instructions on building a "jig" out of scrap wood and clamps. Using it will give you a nice clean, round opening.

I just did my keg today. Way easier than I thought it was going to be. No jig needed, only took 5 min. maybe less
Good luck

Sounds good. Seems like the hard part will be finding the keg itself. I've tried craigslist but the prices I've gotten, I might as well buy a stainless steel pot. I live in a college town so expected to be a quicker find, but its summer so might just be bad timing. Might have to try a local metal recycling place.

I'm gonna have to go get one of the HF grinders... I have some polishing to do :)

As for finding kegs, don't wait for one to show up on CL... I posted an ad on CL "Looking for beer kegs" with some description and a pic.

I got nothing for about a month, then BAM - Now I have 4 AB kegs. Cost $100 total, and a bit of elbow grease to get them clean (One was still full and born in March 2006 :D )

Then I bought Boilermakers :drunk:

As for finding kegs, don't wait for one to show up on CL... I posted an ad on CL "Looking for beer kegs" with some description and a pic.

I got nothing for about a month, then BAM - Now I have 4 AB kegs. Cost $100 total, and a bit of elbow grease to get them clean (One was still full and born in March 2006 :D )

Yeah I posted a wanted ad too, no luck yet. Except an offer to sell one for $75. At that price I would just buy a stainless steel pot for another $25 or so. Your price is close to what I was expecting, since the deposits are only around $30 here.

Yeah I posted a wanted ad too, no luck yet. Except an offer to sell one for $75. At that price I would just buy a stainless steel pot for another $25 or so. Your price is close to what I was expecting, since the deposits are only around $30 here.

I told them what I was paying when they called. Never asked what they were asking. Nobody argued with $30 :)

Consider a dremel. It's slower but I found it easier to control. I cut 5 kegs with the dremel.

I'm right there with Duffer. I did a complete Jeep fender fabrication over 4 years ago with a Harbor Freight one and it still is holding up to this day. No issues.

So could i use an Angle grinder to cut a 5 gallon tank in half and then weld it back together to make a 3 gallon keg?
is there a special weld that will hold with the pressure that is in a keg?

i cut a couple of keg lids off w/the HF air grinder, use the back of the grinder and trace around the coupler for a guide cuts a perfect hole no need for a jig. wear your safety gear!

Back