Harbor Freight Angle Grinder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harbor Freight actually sells some decent tools. Watch out for some tools that have been cast with pot metal. You just need to develop a keen eye for quality. That grinder that you've posted looks like it will do the job. I bought this kind http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98107 last year and have abused it occasionally since. For the price it was worth it. If you get atleast a couple of years of normal wear and tear on the power tool you should come out ahead. Especially for that price.

$18 plus another $8 for shipping... meh. My Ryobi, which I think was only $35 - $40 at Depot, got me through putting down pavers on my whole driveway, plus a crapton of other projects. I still just don't get the appeal of buying tools that I *know* and expect are going to fail, quickly. It ain't worth the inconvenience when a tool breaks in the middle of a job (IMHO).

I have used this HF grinder to build a retaining wall and cut about 100 stones with it... still works like a champ - although it is definitely not the same quality as the Bosch it replaced (I left it out in the rain... sigh).

However, I only wanted the HF one to finished the job. I do intend to buy another high end tool in the spring.

I know others have used these, but I am just wondering if it is a good price and if it will last through cutting 3 kegs (didn't think I would ever hear myself ask that question about one of my prospective power tools). Thanks! :mug:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91223

I have this grinder, I also have a Makita. The Harbor Freight guard and handle are not as sturdy, but hey... the wheel spins and it has not "burned up" yet. I can tell you the one I have have has seen more use than it would take to cut 3 kegs. So it "should" do the job for you. That said, I would not promise anything on Harbor Freights quality control.

mine just went bought it 8-10 years ago at HF. I have done patio pavers with it , retaining walls and lots of metal cutting . It will cut the three kegs and then some

I have this one and it fried after two kegs.

Although, I didn't have the correct cutting disk on it. I was using what I had at the time - a wider grinding wheel - not that thin cutting wheel.

Good luck. :)

Thanks for all the replies! I don't do too much work with metal so really it would just be needed for this project and hence why I really don't want or need to buy a true quality, will last you a lifetime, product. I think if the price comes down to 9.99 I will pull the trigger. At that price, you really can't go wrong even if it does break. Thanks guys!

I have that same unit and its been a workhorse for everything around the house. Luckily I have a HF store down the street, so I dont worry about the shipping costs. I'd also recommend to wait for an email coupon from them. Sign up for their newsletter and you'll get a 10-15% off coupon about once a week.

Cheers

Lucas

Still comes back to convenience. Get set up to do a project, then have a tool fail... that wastes the little free time that I have. There's absolutely nothing that pisses me off more than when I'm doing a project and something dumb happens, like I break the drill bit that I need, and I have to waste and hour and a half driving to Depot to buy a replacement. That's why I'm firmly in the camp of "don't chintz out on tools."

Even if nine times out of ten the grinder is fine, it would piss me off so much if it happened that one time that it's worth paying a few more dollars to get something that's better-quality - and multiply that by one hundred if replacing the tool means packing it up, a trip to the post office, and waiting two weeks for a replacement.

Still, that's entirely my opinion, and I understand that other people view this differently.

Well I do have a harbor freight on the way home from work so I don't have to deal with shipping, and if I was really worried about it breaking during a project I could buy two for less than buying one from Home depot. Tools I use often I spend the money on (Dewalt cordless drill etc) but if I only plan to use it 3 times I don't spend a lot of cash on it. I also bought craftsman tools that were built 30 years ago that still work great (table saw, drill press, couple others) so you can get good tools for great prices as well.

I know others have used these, but I am just wondering if it is a good price and if it will last through cutting 3 kegs

It will probably last through 3 kegs. It may almost kill you in the process. I have had one for years, bought it a decade or so ago. Used it for some light grinding on some wooden projects. It didn't matter there that the handle had broken. I tried to use it 2 months ago on metal. I was holding with one hand as it had no side handle. It jumped off the metal out of my hand and onto my leg. If it wasn't for my brand new double kneed, insulated Carharts it would probably have done more damage than it did, although it did plenty.

Lowes had a Hitachi for around $40 that I just used to cut through a keg. I feel safer with it and I know I will use it enough to make up for the $30 difference especially considering the cost of an ER visit.

Second the dissapointment on Ryobi, just as junky as HF but cost closer to real tool prices. HD would not warrant a 1mos old Ryobi tool, so if you want to buy junk stick with HF. I like HF, but not for fast moving power tools.

Not sure buying a Ryobi rather than HF put you firmly in any camp....sorry Bird, but I think Ryobi is a rather inexpensive brand also, no?

Well, I don't buy Ryobi anymore. It was one of the first tools that I bought after I bought my house. I'd still buy a Ryobi over a Harbor Freight, because it's a hour to replace it IF it dies versus having to wait days for Harbor Freight (assuming that you're buying online because you linked to the site).

The angle grinder's taken a beating, though.

The Ryobi circ saw I own *is* a POS and due ti be replaced, and is why I feel strongly about this. Every time I use it, I'm pissed off that the blade won't stay square. Every time I use it, I wish I ponied up a little bit more upfront to have a better tool. It hasn't failed on me, though, unlike what I hear so many people say about Harbor Freight tools.

The Ryobi's at least aren't crapping out in the middle of the job, even if they aren't the best tools in the world.

Not sure buying a Ryobi rather than HF put you firmly in any camp....sorry Bird, but I think Ryobi is a rather inexpensive brand also, no?

+1,000 Ryobi tools are cheap junk too. Disposable tools much like the HF stuff. I have lots of high quality tools and a number of the disposable type as well. IMO, it's smarter to buy the cheap junk for infrequent use. Tools for professionals are one thing and entirely something else for the weekend warrior. My oriental drill press works just fine, but I don't use it very often. Probably never will. It ain't no Stanley DeWalt for sure, but neither am I.

That is kinda what I am thinking. For tools that I plan on using heavily or want to have for a while, I will purchase a quality product. I honestly have never purchased something like this before so just wanted to make sure that it would have a good chance on lasting through the cutting session.

The tools I have bought from HF are typically pretty simple tools that don't require a real tight tolerance and I don't expect a great deal out of them. I mean if you need a rock to crack a walnut, it probably doesn't have to be a name brand rock.

I have professional tools, some pretty serious DIY tools, and I have some rocks.

Most folks I know that have HF tools brag if they last a year because it's like money in your pocket... Not the same story with serious tools.

The tools I have bought from HF are typically pretty simple tools that don't require a real tight tolerance and I don't expect a great deal out of them. I mean if you need a rock to crack a walnut, it probably doesn't have to be a name brand rock.

I have professional tools, some pretty serious DIY tools, and I have some rocks.

Most folks I know that have HF tools brag if they last a year because it's like money in your pocket... Not the same story with serious tools.

I have a wide array of power tools made in "China", and have used them extensively over the years (15+) with only minor problems. I have had some name brands such as Porter Cable, Black & Decker, Dewalt, Craftsman, Stihl, Hilti, Campbell Hausfield, Dremel, Skil, and even Ryobi fail within 3 years of purchase. To each his own. I still say if you have an eye for quality then go ahead and buy the damn thing. Tools; like humans break down with repeated use. It's a part of life. Just because something has a "brand name" on it doesn't make it a quality tool. On something as simple as an angle grinder the only thing that usually goes first are the brushes in the motor. If they are not replaceable then the product should be considered a "throwaway". Buy what you want. But it's good to keep in mind to buy something that you eventually will reuse again on some other project around the house.

I have a wide array of power tools made in "China", and have used them extensively over the years (15+) with only minor problems. I have had some name brands such as Porter Cable, Black & Decker, Dewalt, Craftsman, Stihl, Hilti, Campbell Hausfield, Dremel, Skil, and even Ryobi fail within 3 years of purchase. To each his own. I still say if you have an eye for quality then go ahead and buy the damn thing. Tools; like humans break down with repeated use. It's a part of life. Just because something has a "brand name" on it doesn't make it a quality tool. On something as simple as an angle grinder the only thing that usually goes first are the brushes in the motor. If they are not replaceable then the product should be considered a "throwaway". Buy what you want. But it's good to keep in mind to buy something that you eventually will reuse again on some other project around the house.

Roqk, we are in agreement.
An angle grinder is a pretty simple tool. I had no problem buying it from HF (it came with replacement brushes by the way). If I need a tool that I will be counting on, I will buy a quality tool. I agree names do not automatically mean quality.

And btw... no offense intended when I mentioned cracking walnuts with a Roqk;)

Buy the one that Harbor Freight sells for $10 every 2 weeks. I've used it for quite a while for a number of things, including cutting kegs, and I've had no trouble with it at all. It will cut kegs just as well as the more expensive models. Save the extra cash for something else.

While you're there get a couple cutting discs. They're $3 or $4 each or you can get a 9 or 10 piece set (grinding, cutting, polishing) for $10.

I really like the handle position there, but I have had terrible luck with Porter Cable products. The only thing that I have used that works the way it should is our laser level. Thanks for the help though.

NP...For what it is worth if the Harbor Freight one had been on sale for $10 instead of $29 I would have bought it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant beat the Bosch - mine only went bad because I left in the rain for a week. It probably only needed the brushes changed after that, but I didn't have time to mess with it. I own a Bosch drill, driver, router, and a jigsaw also.

Yea I have a Bosch jigsaw that is awesome. They make great stuff. I am correct thought that the Bosch only has handle placement on the two sides? Not the top too? Thanks!

I feel about dewalt as you feel about PC. Bought a whole bunch of them and 1/2 started acting up as soon as the warranty expired, cost as much to repair as to buy.

I bought the Hitatchi and ripped through my keg, as opposed to the HF which almost ripped through my leg. It comes with a case, and 5 or so grinding discs, and a handle that I do not think will fall off anytime soon. For $10 the HF is worth buying and seeing if you use the tool, then upgrading if it tries to kill you. If the HF is any more than that buy a $40 one at Lowes, the case is almost worth the difference because when you misplace the pin wrench you can not change the discs.

Top handle is a rare thing, most only have side mounting holes for the handles

Yea, Dewalt is also kinda hit or miss for me too. I have an 18v cordless drill that I love and their chopsaws are great but some things have broken. Glad to hear that the Hitachi isn't too bad. I may just buy that. I think it will prob last longer than the HF and as you said it comes with a case which the Bosch doesn't. I don't understand how they can possibly justify this. The case costs almost as much as the unit.

which the Bosch doesn't.

My other vice is woodworking and I hang out at wood.net. I hear nothing but good things about Bosch especially the jig saw, which I bough that one instead of DW. One thing I hear about Bosch though is they include no accesories and charge a pretty penny for them, plus shipping. Just read a rant about it recently. Still wished I owned some of them or at least some non-lemon Dewalt. My jig saw acted up recently and it gave me an excuse to look at a Bosch, unfortunately I was able to fix it, kind of.

Putting on my "expert" hat...

I repair equipment for a construction company.
We used to buy Bosch angle grinders exclusively. (I wouldn't buy anything else for my self.)
But, since they're "shop tools" the operators abused the hell out of em. They're fairly inexpensive and easy to repair, though.

So, management decided to start buying HF grinders instead. That was about 8 months ago. We still have more than half the Bosch units, and most of the HF ones are in the trash, cos parts are more than a new unit.

All that being said, for the hobbyist, you can't beat HF.

Hell, I even know a professional remodeler that only buys HF. He buys a complete set of tools every year whether the old ones work or not.He donates the old ones to a local charity and writes it off on his taxes.
Of course, he's the only one using them and doesn't abuse them.

Buy the HF unit and don't look back.

Thanks for all the replies! I don't do too much work with metal so really it would just be needed for this project and hence why I really don't want or need to buy a true quality, will last you a lifetime, product. I think if the price comes down to 9.99 I will pull the trigger. At that price, you really can't go wrong even if it does break. Thanks guys!

FYI, My Harbor Freight is showing that item 95578 is going on sale for 9.99 from Jan 16-18.

The cheaper Item 95578 will be in the January Blow Out saleJan 16-18 for $9.99 (see page 4 of the add). However that one does not have the ability to put the handle on the back. Also there is a coupon on this page to get it for $9.99 from now till Feb 14 if you don't want to wait.

The heavy duty one from the original post has a coupon here to get it for $16.99

And if you are interested in a pneumatic one for $6.99 (and a 10 pack of cut off disks for $3.99) there is a coupon here good to Jan 10th.

All of these found via the continuously updated SlickDeals harbor freight coupon thread

Back