I have been having problems with my motorized Barley Crusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not notice any wear on the knurl of the rollers. I used an air nozzle from my air compressor and blew any dust off of the rollers first. I did not try using it after that, but I did not notice any real significant visual difference after doing so. There was some dust build up on the bottom of the mill, just not any real noticeable build up on the rollers themselves. I did notice that the main roller (the one for hooking up to a drill) that there was some horizontal play in it before I took it apart and cleaned it. I did find some residue dust in between the ends of the rollers and the side plates, so I cleaned that off. When I put it back together the main roller does not have the horizontal play in it now.

I can't say anything bad about the BC mill or the Manufacturer of it. They did respond back to me with a possible solution to the problem. The test of this possible fix will be on Friday when I run my grains through it.

If it doesn't work then all I have to do is let him know by email, but I'm not anticipating any problems.

"If after you try these things and if you are still having problems please email me and we will see what we can do to get your mill back to the way it should be."

With this line of his email it sounds like a manufacturer that is standing behind his product.

I can't ask anything of this product that I don't expect of any other product that I use for brewing. After all I have to clean my mash tun, kegs and carboys after every use.

If it takes a little TLC cleaning every once in a while to get it back up to speed then that is what it will take.

Did it work any better?

I e-mailed them about my problem (same as yours) on Monday 7/19, and as of today Friday 7/23 have not recieved a response.

I had disassembled mine, cleand, oiled and adjusted everything before I last used it. Still no improvement. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

What's the price of scrap up to these days?

I've been having this problem for the last couple years. when i tried to take it apart the first time, the head of the screw that keeps the side plate on broke off, rendering it useless. they did replace the mill, but the problems started again soon after that. my remedy thus far has been to pour in the grain a few pounds at a time. kinda makes that extra money i spent on the 15# a bit of a waste.

Did it work any better?

I e-mailed them about my problem (same as yours) on Monday 7/19, and as of today Friday 7/23 have not recieved a response.

I had disassembled mine, cleand, oiled and adjusted everything before I last used it. Still no improvement. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

What's the price of scrap up to these days?

This is all good information my electrician tool partner now retiring is getting into home brewing because my brewing. He has eliminated this mill purchase from reading all these posted problems. All bad exposure for the manufacture, good for us brewers. He said thanks for the postings.

I have a JSP MaltMill. The rollers are gear driven and hardened.

I am very happy with it to this point. Hopefully it will holdup for the long run.

I have a JSP MaltMill. The rollers are gear driven and hardened.

I am very happy with it to this point. Hopefully it will holdup for the long run.

Now that's comforting for those with only a idler roller that stops, LOL!

My post was not intended to cause discomfort to those that are having problems with their Barley Crusher, but rather to offer an alternative to those that are looking for a mill.

Ouch, ouch LOL!

BrewBeemer... I'm glad you got the humor :mug:
I'm also glad you left the comment out of your quote and I edited my original post to remove it also. It was truly intended as humor and for your benefit. I don't want others to get the wrong idea, so I think its best it just goes away :D

Cheers.

hey no worries i'm not the type that twists words around and goes on the defense with replies, i'm a prankster in real life. Life's for fun and laughter.
I can handle replies to my harsh reparks, it's just me. Prosit.

B-Dub; a recent PM sent to me i'll forward to your PM.
I ran across an article where a 3 roller mill manufacture stated
a stainless rollers knurling lasts as long as a standard knurled roller.
You can narrow this down to two manufactures.
Not in these exact words but stated a comparison.
I shall locate this statement and post as this proves the extra
expense of stainless rollers is a waste of money unless your after
rust free rollers. I'm near saltwater also like under 900' away with
no light rust or hazing problems.

I recieved a reply from BC Products on Saturday. It's word for word the same as the reply LiquidGold recieved. Obviously this happens often enough that they put together a standard reply that is sent to everyone with this problem.

The one thing that the reply suggests, and that I haven't tried yet is to turn the roller end for end. I'll try that before I take any other action.

I'm assuming LiquidGold hasn't tried his yet since he hasn't updated us.

So my BC was not working either. I disassembled it, cleaned it, rotated it, and more. Still not working. Then I decided to widen to gap setting. Voila! Working like a charm again.....

So my BC was not working either. I disassembled it, cleaned it, rotated it, and more. Still not working. Then I decided to widen to gap setting. Voila! Working like a charm again.....

What do you have the gap set to, and what was it before? Mine is currently .032" and it's not working, but that's what it's been for 2 years and it worked fine until a few months ago.

Seems like the same story over and over.

It works fine at first and then for some unknown reason the mill ceases to function properly.

Right now mine is set around .045 and gets by okay. (80% or better efficiency in the brewhouse) Just not like it used to.

BW

On August 6th, I recieved an email from Randy at BC Products statin gthe following:

"If you are still having problems with your mill, if you would like you can ship the mill body back to us and I take a look at your mill and fix or replace the mill and ship it back to you."

I replied that I wanted to try and increase the gap slightly and see what happens before I sent it back.

Last Saturday I increased the gap from .032 to .037 and proceeded to crush 25 lbs of grain. It worked perfectly. Never stopped once, just like it was brand new. Only problem was, my efficiency dropped from 80% down to 75%, but I can live with that.

I am startin to have trouble with mine. Gap was set at .036 and ran nice for a long time. Then the non-driven roller started to become very hard to turn and would not mill. Opened it up to factory setting and it rolled freely and I put about 240lbs of grain through it without a problem.

I was having all kinds of problems with mine set at .039. I contacted Randy at BC Products by e-mail. I made sure my opening was correct. I took the rollers apart and cleaned them. I reversed the idle roller and nothing helped. I contacted Randy again and he said to just send the body back to him. I received a replacement back in the mail within two weeks.

All I have to say is great service.

bja one thing you could do is run the grain back through the mill a second time at .032 to get back to your 80% effiency. I know a little of a pain in the ars, but it will work.

bja one thing you could do is run the grain back through the mill a second time at .032 to get back to your 80% effiency. I know a little of a pain in the ars, but it will work.

I could but I've learned to live with 75%. Messing around running it through again isn't worth the extra pound of grain I'm now using. I was also having a slow runoff occasionally which hasn't been happening since I opened up the setting. I may try .035 and see how that works.

Back