Double Stout/Chocolate question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHill

Reaction score
First off, it’s a good thing I found this forum because being able to read through these pages has helped me immensely in my homebrew beginnings. I’m currently on my third batch and have questions with regard to chocolate flavoring.

I brewed a Williams Double Stout kit and will be bottling this coming Saturday. My question is, can I somehow make up a mix of chocolate and add it into the batch when I add my priming sugar? I didn’t think about adding a hint of chocolate until after I had completed the wart and thought I would ask if anyone has tried this method.

Thanks in advance,

Hill

You may be able to add some chocolate flavor extract at bottling time, but I would advise against adding real chocolate. The oils in it would wreak havoc on your brew. You'd be better off doing a chocolate brew properly from the very beginning.

Welcome to the forum, :mug:

Don't add chocolate at bottling time. Like Cheyco says, it will add oils that will totally mess up your beer. In addition, if the chocolate has any sugar content at all, it may cause your bottles to overpressurize and explode or gush.

You definitely want to add the chocolate to the brew kettle. For my chocolate porter, I added the chocolate with about 15 minutes to go in the boil. It was yummy. My suggestion is to start gathering up the ingredients for another batch, and add the chocolate to the boil.

Good Luck.

If you are worried about sugar and fats you could just use cocoa powder. I am new to this beermaking thing but I do know my chocolate. :)

My chocolate/milk/oatmeal/vanilla stout is just finishing... used cocoa powder. Initial tastes indicate a lot of chocolate. I'll post the results when it finishes.

I'm not as experienced as many people on this forum are but i think the cocoa powder in the secondary for a week would be good. Just enough to get the aromas working which would give you subtleness you want, while allowing it to settle out before bottling.

I have a chocolate stout going into bottles/keg on Monday night. It was brewed with Hershey's cocoa powder at the end of the boil. It's been in secondary for about two and a half weeks. I'll post tomorrow night on how it tastes.

Boil 1/2 cup of dutch-processed (alkalized) cocoa powder in a pint of water, about 5 minutes. You could put your primer in the same pint. Cool & add to the secondary. A teaspoon of vanilla extract helps.

I've tried other methods of using chocolate/cocoa & this works better than anything. Chocolate has two problems: the cocoa butter and the simple fact that conching merely grinds the nibbles to tiny particles that are not water soluble.

Well mine is excellent!! :rockin:
3.5oz of Hershey's coca powder in the final 10 min of the boil. No problems at all with head retention and the taste is subtle but certainly there.

I will change my recipe to only use 1/2 - 3/4 lb of lactose next time. This batch is just a touch on the sweet side but, certainly drinkable.

i really want to try chocolate beer, i think this will have to be my next project.

Back