milky hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvstrat

Reaction score
So I decided to grab lunch at a BBQ joint near my house. The only decent beer they had on tap was Widmer, which I happen to like so I ordered one. It looked like banana colored milk. The waitress said it was a brand new keg. Anyway I like hefe's and enjoy the cloudy appearance, but it wasn't cloudy, it was like milk color, just like one would 1 or 2 days in the primary. It smelled like hefe yeast with that sourish smell. Anyway it tasted like a just emptied hefe primary smells.

I read that these kegs should be stored upside down to prevent excessive settling of the yeast. Do you think this is what might have went wrong? I'll try to post a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

Needless to say i drank it :p
cloudyhefe.jpg

sankeys might be different, but that looks just like the first pour from a corny keg... i'd guess you're right about what happened.

Yep, I used to work at a restaurant... and the first few pours of any wit/hefeweizen were always just like that... drink up and roll down the windows for the drive home ;)

Back