how noticable of a difference in the final product by......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppedup

Reaction score
how noticiable of a difference in the final product is there between boiling say a 1.5 - 2gallon wort and filling up the rest of a 5gal fermentor with water, and just boiling all 5 gallons of wort?

Hmmm... well generall I boil about 2.5 to 3 gallons. You want to boil as much as you can. In a 5 gallon brewpot that usually means around 2.5 to 3 galons. What size of a brewpot are you using?

Remember, if you do a full boil you'll have to take steps to aerate your wort priot to pitching the yeast,otherwise the yeasties won't have any O2 to consumer. With a partial boil (which is all I'm capable of doing until I get a propane burner and a bigger pot), you don't have to worry as much, you can just be a little splashy when you add the top-off water and you're OK.

Theoretically, a full boil will make the beer much better, but I'm not sure how much difference it really makes when working with extract. With AG, it's not optional.

Sorry I misunderstood the question. I can't see noticing a difference at all. I suppose some might say that there is a difference. Countess awards have been won without doing full boils. What are you doing now? There seems to be so many other things that would bring about a certain difference in taste that doing a full boil on extract does not seem worth it.

It is a very good next step to take. The full volume reduces scorching the wort and boilovers. It also increases hop utilization. I think it makes a considerably better beer.
More than aeration (you can still do the splashy slpashy method for full volume boils) you need to be concerned with chilling your wort. You will need to invest in, or make, a chiller. You Do Not want to carry the 5.5 gallons of boiling hot wort around your looking for a bucket of ice.

Beer Snob said:
Sorry I misunderstood the question. I can't see noticing a difference at all. I suppose some might say that there is a difference. Countess awards have been won without doing full boils. What are you doing now? There seems to be so many other things that would bring about a certain difference in taste that doing a full boil on extract does not seem worth it.

well ive always brewed a hybrid of extract and grain beer. the grains being used primarily for character rather than for producing fermentable sugars. well if its not going to make too much a difference than ill just keep doing what im doing which is 2 gal wort and 3 gal springwater in fermenter. (i dont use springwater for the boil or steeping grains tho)

i just got the idea cause Sams Club has these 38qt turkey deep fryers with propane burner stand and everything for like $40! I guess i could still get one for the turkey tho :)

hoppedup said:
i just got the idea cause Sams Club has these 38qt turkey deep fryers with propane burner stand and everything for like $40! I guess i could still get one for the turkey tho :)

IMHO, the main benefits of full boils lie in the ability to do AG or significant mash-size partial mash brews. I personally would not have bothered investing in a pot large enough to do full boils if I didn't intend to do AG.

That said, there are some advantages to doing full boils with extract brews: namely, lighter color (from less carmelization) and higher hops utilization (which would mean a modest cost savings, especially if you brew a lot of high IBU beers).

That said, an outdoot burner plus a 38 Qt pot for $40 sounds like a great deal, assuming the quality is acceptable. If you have any thoughts of doing AG in the future, I'd seriously consider snapping that up. Brewing outdoors can be very enjoyable in any case--in good weather, anyway.

hoppedup said:
well ive always brewed a hybrid of extract and grain beer. the grains being used primarily for character rather than for producing fermentable sugars. well if its not going to make too much a difference than ill just keep doing what im doing which is 2 gal wort and 3 gal springwater in fermenter. (i dont use springwater for the boil or steeping grains tho)

That was the greatest thing I did that completely changed for the better the taste of my beer. Use grain. Rich has had a lot of luck with mini mashes, but even with that I dont think he is not doing full boils. This might be a real good next step for you actually if you want to do something outside of steeping and dont want to do AG.

hoppedup said:

The pot on those is probably made of Aluminum. I'm just a newbie, but I was under the impression that boiling in aluminum was bad, and stainless steel was required.

jar said:
The pot on those is probably made of Aluminum. I'm just a newbie, but I was under the impression that boiling in aluminum was bad, and stainless steel was required.

This is a highly controversial topic. But I think you'll find that a fair number of people here use aluminum and get great results.

I think there's little doubt that if you want to invest in a high-quality piece of cooking equipment to last a lifetime, then stainless is the way to go. But a person could get a lot of good brews out of an aluminum pan, IMHO.

Back