Tough Mudder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering doing one of these in 2012 or 2013. I just did a Warrior Dash last weekend and plan on doing at least another, if not both, Ohio events in 2012. Anyone ever done a Tough Mudder? Anyone interested in a HBT team for the event in Amherst OH April 14th 2012? There's already one other forum member who committed himself. Entry is currently $100

Michigan/Ohio Event

tough mudder is like 12 Warrior Dashes in 1 day. Hope you're prepared.

We did Warrior Dash last year (spring), then the USMC mud run in the fall. Warrior Dash was fun.... Mud Run was... well... tough. And long..... We made it through, but it was more than we expected. Tough Mudder looks way harder than Mud Run.

Done 2 tough mudders so far and signed up for another this fall. In the last one there was a sign as you entered the woods at the 3 mile mark that read something like "THIS IS THE FINISH LINE.... if you were running warrior dash..... but you're not, you have 7 more miles." (in actuality it was more like 9 more miles - they lied upfront on the distance)

Nonetheless, they are fun with a group. Best advice is to simply train endurance. Most people think they need super amounts of strength for the obstacles. The reality of it is that it is 2-3 hours of running with breaks to do some tasks.

The wife and I are signed up to do the one near Bastrop TX in October. Hopefully the course still exists and hasn't been burned up by the wild fires! We've been doing crossfit for about 4 months with a little added distance running to make sure we're ready for the mileage. Can't wait!

As for the distance, I've read the courses vary. They claim 10, but some are a bit more, some a bit less. I'm hoping for the latter :eek:

tough mudder is like 12 Warrior Dashes in 1 day. Hope you're prepared.

12/3=12. Thanks, good to know :p

I know it will be way tougher than a Warrior Dash, but that's the point. Good luck to everyone. I just started a new workout routine this past Monday, but I think next Monday I may switch to their recommended workout and see how that goes. Running today for the first time since the dash.

How tough is the mudder? It looks brutal, but I can jog pretty far. I'm thinking of doing it this feb in phoenix. I am a horrible swimmer though

Tough Mudder isn't too bad if you've been training for it.

We did the first one (NJ last year - 13 miles) with a group of 6 - all varying levels of training. I was probably best prepared.... I had been training for a marathon that was 2 weeks before. The buddy's cousin was least prepared..... probably ready for 3-4 total miles of light jogging. However, we completed it as a team and everyone finished. Some of the obstacles were easier as partners, some were easily done solo. The toughest part was the electrocution grid at mile 11.5 of the 12 miles (look it up on youtube).... after 2+ hours of "working out" it's really easy for your muscles to cramp and one of our guys had to limp the rest of the way.

The second one (PA this past spring) was done by 2 of the original 6 guys. THIS one was TOUGH. Mainly because it was a ski resort. Yes yes, there aren't real slopes in PA - trust me, I know. However, try carrying a 30-40 log up ANY hill and you'd see my point. I suppose this one was TOUGH because we hadn't been training for running up and down hills (the first one - NJ - was FLAT). Also, this one was the one they said was going to be 10 miles and it was actually closer to 12 (according to THEIR mile markers).

There's a facebook page for them that has questions and what not about the toughest obstacle, etc etc. Honestly, the NJ one was mental.... convincing yourself to jump of a platform into 38 degree water and swim across a pond, run through 10,000 volts, run through smoke clouds, etc etc. The PA one was physical.... HILLS. They are definitely fun with a group though.

Awesome SkiRunnr. I'm back and forth on it. I'm giving myself until October 14th to decide. That's when registration goes up another $20. I'm starting my training for it regardless as of this past Monday.

I just did the Dallas Tough Mudder last weekend. I was leary at first when SWMBO signed me up for it, but I had a blast. It was quite tough (and muddy) - 23 obstacles over 12 miles, and much of the running was through mud or crossing a creek. The obstacles included scaling 10 and 12 foot walls, toting logs around and through a pond, swimming under barrels in icy water - they had an ice truck on site, crawling through mud, wobbly balance beams, running up a 15' quarter pipe, monkey bars that spin, live electrical wires to run and crawl through, climbing up to a 25' high deck then jumping into a lake below and swimming ~50 yards to the shore, etc. SWMBO saw at least 3 ambulances leave, and I heard rumor that one lady had to be airlifted to the hospital.

All in all, I would do it again. I agree that endurance training is most crucial.

I'll post pics when they are available.

All in all, I would do it again. I agree that endurance training is most crucial.

Sounds fun. How much running/interval training had you done prior?

I am thinking of doing a TM ASAP after doing a 6.5 mile race on Saturday and feeling fine afterwards. Already signed up for a Super Spartan in October and want to get a couple more races in before the heat takes over for summer.

My wife and I, along with 6 others that we do crossfit with did the Dallas Mudder over the weekend too. It was pretty fun overall and the weather was perfect. My only complaint was having to wait so long to get in to the place (4 miles of stop and go for more than an hour and a half just to get in and park:mad:), and having to wait too long for some of the obstacles. There were a couple places that were too narrow for more than one or two to go at once, and it backed way up. We agreed that the obstacles themselves weren't as tough as some of the one's we did in the Spartan back in December, but we had a blast and nobody in our group got hurt too bad.

Yeah, I guess there was some sort of parking hassle. We arrived around 10:15 am, for our noon start, but the rest of my team didn't show up until closer to 1. They said they were waiting in the car trying to park for over an hour. There were enough late people that they had to add 3 starts.

I'm attaching the only photo of (most of) my group from the event. Thats me on your far right.

Randar- as far as training, I had gotten used to running up to 6 or so miles pretty comfortably, and 10+ with effort, I also started doing pushups and situps and try to stretch out daily.

TM2012.JPG

Randar- as far as training, I had gotten used to running up to 6 or so miles pretty comfortably, and 10+ with effort, I also started doing pushups and situps and try to stretch out daily.

Thanks. I've simply gotten the impression that Tough Mudder has become a total clusterfuq at obstacles and choke points (and the number of people they try to push through the course each weekend) and it's become more of a "just to say I finished" type of event than a race, per se. Still planning to do one this year with some buddies and I imagine we will stay together for the most part. I like the Spartan races the best of the ones I have done so far. They limit the per-heat number of runners, it's properly timed (microchip wrist band), penalties for missing obstacles (30 burpees per failed obstacle), etc.

My race schedule for the year looks like:

March 31 - Gladiator Assault Challenge, Lake Geneva, WI (6.5 mi, 35 obstacles)
April 21- Spartan Sprint, Laurel, IN, (4+ miles, 15-20 obstacles)
May 20 - Merrell Down & Dirty Mud Run, Gilbert, IL (10km ~10 wussy obstacles)
June 9 - Super Spartan, Montreal (8+ miles) (if I can finagle a work trip to the area the week before)
Sept 9 - Tough Mudder, Wisconsin
Oct 27 - Super Spartan Midwest (8+ mile)
Dec 8 - Spartan Beast, Dallas, TX (10-12 mile)

Figure that will either kill me or get me into the best running and cross-training shape of my life.

ABC News: Texas officials are trying to determine how a man died during a challenging and at times chaotic obstacle race called the “Original Mud Run” last weekend, but race organizers are going ahead with another mud run for next month.

Tony Weathers, 30, died during Fort Worth’s Original Mud Run Saturday and Fort Worth police said an autopsy is being conducted. The homicide division is waiting for the medical examiner’s ruling to see if there will be a follow-up investigation.

Right now, they say no foul play. Looks like he drowned trying to cross the Trinity River.

I aint knocking it. Just posting a relevant current event.

A guy at my work did one and he's in great shape. He said it was fun but very hard and he did not train enough for it. It's still easy compared to an Ironman though. It's all a matter of perspective.

I had a blast doing it. Honestly, it was too easy. I figured I would struggle on half of the obstacles and be dead half way through. There was only one obstacle I had trouble with and I felt great the whole race.

I consider myself in average shape. I only started training for the race 10 weeks prior. I was just expecting the obstacles to be more challenging as with the running pat of the course.

Right now, they say no foul play. Looks like he drowned trying to cross the Trinity River.

I aint knocking it. Just posting a relevant current event.

It's also not uncommon for people to die of sudden cardiac arrest from an unknown pre-existing condition during endurance races of any sort.

Just saying.

But yes, there is definitely some inherent danger involved.

I had a blast doing it. Honestly, it was too easy. I figured I would struggle on half of the obstacles and be dead half way through. There was only one obstacle I had trouble with and I felt great the whole race.

Spartan Race obstacles are the most physically demanding that I've seen so far. Doing another Spartan Sprint tomorrow. Muddy ropes can make life very difficult and putting soap on the walls is just plain mean. :D

I think the running/endurance aspect is really the hardest part for most people that don't have a running background. However, in all these races, you can go whatever pace you'd like, so you really make it as hard as you choose to make it.

Just signed up for the September Tough Mudder here a few weeks ago ... pretty excited. I'm in decent shape now, but am doing it with two dudes who are in crazy shape (one competes in the crossfit games), which scares me almost as much as the race itself.

For those who have done it, any training recommendations? Especially things you didn't train for that you wished you had?

I'm mixing things up right now. Lots of interval and circuit training, including both cardio and strength work. Plenty of push-ups and pull-ups. I've also been adding hills - lots of hills - to my running (luckily we've got a fair amount of hills in SF). As the date gets closer, I may try to add more crazy sh*t to my training - pouring ice water over myself halfway through a run, etc.

If anyone else is doing one this year, this thread might be a cool place to exchange training info...

Palefire said:
Just signed up for the September Tough Mudder here a few weeks ago ... pretty excited. I'm in decent shape now, but am doing it with two dudes who are in crazy shape (one competes in the crossfit games), which scares me almost as much as the race itself.

For those who have done it, any training recommendations? Especially things you didn't train for that you wished you had?

I'm mixing things up right now. Lots of interval and circuit training, including both cardio and strength work. Plenty of push-ups and pull-ups. I've also been adding hills - lots of hills - to my running (luckily we've got a fair amount of hills in SF). As the date gets closer, I may try to add more crazy sh*t to my training - pouring ice water over myself halfway through a run, etc.

If anyone else is doing one this year, this thread might be a cool place to exchange training info...

I'm signed up for one in October but probably won't do real crazy training. I already run and do olympic lifting so the biggest exercise need I have is for my patience... :)

Myself and a few others signed up for a Spartan Sprint in June. 5 weeks till go time, and I'm freaking myself out about it because I have zero upper body strength. Started up the obstacle course work as of last week (and I hurt!), but we've been running an easy 4 miles every Sunday.

For the Spartans, any info you can provide to make my life easier?

The Tough Mudder is coming to Oregon next year, and we already have a huge group of people who are into it. It's gonna rock!

Sorry to kick up this thread, but I am in the process of getting myself ready for a Tough Mudder, I hope by April/May.

I have a few question for those who have done it.

Is a team really required? I may be able to get 1 or 2, but I'm not sure I can count on them.

Condition wise, will I make it :) I'm 36 @ 195 and I have pretty good upper body strength, semi strong legs. My cardio is average at best. I can run about a 6 minute mile and distance wise I can run a 5k but not much more. Bike rides I can go about 25 miles in hilly terrain.

I've run two Tough Mudders so far. Once with a four-person team, once with my 60 year old father (if he can do it, you can).

A team is by no means required, but it sure does make it a lot more fun. Even if your "team" is just you and one other person. Camaraderie and such. It also helps having someone there for support and to help push you to keep going.

Most of the obstacles can be completed solo, but there are a few where having someone else really helps (some of the higher walls, the log carry, etc). Even if you are running solo though, you can usually find others to help you out along the way. TM is not really as much a race as it is an experience, so most of the other runners are pretty friendly and won't mind helping you out even if you are not on their team.

I would really urge you to get at least one other person to run with you, if for no other reason than that it will be more fun.

To be honest, while some of the obstacles can be challenging, the hardest part for me was the 10-12 miles of running. After running several miles, to me encountering the next obstacle was a welcome break. As long as you have reasonable upper body strength (if you can hoist yourself over a wall) then you should be fine. All obstacles are moderately physically demanding, but not impossible hard for the weekend warrior.

As far as cardio, mine sucks. Before I ran TM, I had never run more than 3 miles in my entire life, yet I was able to run the entire 10-12 miles each time without having to stop and walk or stop to rest (other than to hydrate briefly on occasion). As I said before, having all the obstacles break up the running really helps, in my opinion. If you can run a 6 min mile and do a 5k without stopping, you can probably handle TM just fine. It will be challenging, and you will have to push yourself, but you should be able to handle it.

That said, I still recommend that you do some jogging in the months before TM. :)

On a slightly related note, my 60yo father went on to run in World's Toughest Mudder in NJ last fall. He was literally the oldest one there. It's like TM, but lasts for 24 hours, and you basically see how many times you can run the course before time runs out. He managed to do two laps through the course (20 miles) before stopping to take a nap. After his nap he discovered that he was no longer able to move, but if he can do the course twice without stopping, I think you can do it once. :p

541082_2779926107425_2125565489_n.jpg

553525_2408151419933_1455940446_n.jpg

Sorry to kick up this thread, but I am in the process of getting myself ready for a Tough Mudder, I hope by April/May.

I have a few question for those who have done it.

Is a team really required? I may be able to get 1 or 2, but I'm not sure I can count on them.

Condition wise, will I make it :) I'm 36 @ 195 and I have pretty good upper body strength, semi strong legs. My cardio is average at best. I can run about a 6 minute mile and distance wise I can run a 5k but not much more. Bike rides I can go about 25 miles in hilly terrain.
Run more and then run more. 6 minute mile is great, but endurance is really where it's at. But truthfully TM is really just a "complete it to complete it" type of event. It's not really a race.

If you look back on this thread, you can see where I started 2 years ago from just getting involved and never being a runner. This past weekend I competed in the Spartan World Championships at Killington and finished 54th in the men's elite division.

From your description, you'd do fine now, let alone with 6 months or more to train. And yes, it's more fun to run with a friend or group of similar abilities. If you're looking for something with a bit more of a competitive aspect, I urge you to enter a Spartan Sprint or Super. Word of warning, it's a bit addictive :D

I'm doing the Tri State TM in a few weeks. First one for me, but I've done a bunch of road races in the past. Doing it with a team of 6 I think. A couple friends and friends of friends. I've been running and doing P90X mostly. I've been traveling every week for work for several months, plus I got married earlier this month, so my training has been suffering a bit, but I think I'll do ok tho...

Any tips on do's or don't's as far as clothing/shoes go? Not going to be wearing a speedo, that's for sure...

BGBC said:
Any tips on do's or don't's as far as clothing/shoes go? Not going to be wearing a speedo, that's for sure...

Aw, c'mon, the speedo is a highly underrated racing garment.... :p

Wear clothes you won't mind getting ruined. Gloves are nice to have, I just got a cheap pair from Home Depot. Cross-country type shoes, but again, be prepared to possibly throw them away at the end of the race, they will take a beating. Shirt and shorts should be light and breathe well.

lightweight clothing (nothing that is going to absorb water) that will shed water and mud easily. Run without a shirt. Even if it's cold, that shirt will just get wet and muddy and make you MORE cold. I run these events shirtless even down to freezing temps. If you insist on running with a shirt, a compression style shirt is best.
Aw, c'mon, the speedo is a highly underrated racing garment.... :p

Wear clothes you won't mind getting ruined. Gloves are nice to have, I just got a cheap pair from Home Depot. Cross-country type shoes, but again, be prepared to possibly throw them away at the end of the race, they will take a beating. Shirt and shorts should be light and breathe well.
The first time your gloves get muddy they will be totally useless. There aren't enough difficult rope obstacles at TM to worry about gloves, IMO. For the monkey bar A-frame and rings and such, just pull some grass from nearby and dry your hands off really well. That will be enough.

Tough mudder tri-state was yesterday. Went pretty well. Tons of fun and only a little sore in the shoulders today. Not sure if I'll do another one (unless another big group of friends was doing it again), but I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't done one.

Back