Cranberry Pink Lemonade smells like a tire!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mynamestanner

Reaction score
Recipe (all cans are frozen concentrate, no preservatives):

3 Cans Lemonade
2 Cans Pink Lemonade
2 Cans of Cranberry Juice
3 Camden tablets
1 lb corn sugar
3 lbs of light DME
Red Star Cotes De Blanc

Added frozen cans directly to sanitized fermenting bucket, boiled the other ingredients together with some water, then added that mixture to the bucket, and topped off to 4 gallons. Pitched yeast when cooled.

SG = 1.070

Has been in the bucket for a little over a month, and I just racked it to a clean carboy last weekend.

Did not take a final gravity reading, but this thing is definitely alcoholic. Part of why i didnt take a reading is because it just smells like a nasty pink tire. I dont know how pink is a smell, but thats what it smells like.

Is this just a stinky side effect of this strain of yeast, or is it the combination of the ingredients? It doesn't look infected or anything.

Leave it alone? Add something? Possibly stabilize it, add some grapefruit juice (for some bite) and let it age?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

You're getting a rubbery smell?

I don't know what that is. I think that a good thing to do now is check the sg (to see if it's done) and then taste that sample. I bet it's tarter than tart, so I wouldn't add any grapefruit juice!

After the first taste, I'd add sugar, a little at a time, and see if that improves it. No matter what, though, I think I'd let it sit at least another month or two before even attempting to do anything.

Back