apple jack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
has anyone tried freeze distillation of apple cider. i read that it is just like making ice beer and you can achieve a high abv but how high and after how many freezes?

any help?

:drunk:

This is a brewing forum, and we cannot discuss distillation beyond the legal limit of 95% of the original volume.... In other words, we can't answer that question. If you want more info on distillation techniques, a google search with words like this will get you going:

distillation
reflux still
apple jack
home spirits
etc.

Once you remove more than 5% of the fluid volume, you're breaking the law. Now, I doubt you'd get in trouble, but this forum tries to stay away from illegal activities in general. Reality is that freeze distilling is very dirty because there is no way to seperate the good alcohols from the bad. Vapor distillation is WAY better when done properly. If it were up to me, freeze distillation would stay illegal, and vapor distillation would be treated like homebrew is.... but i digress.

Why is this sub-forum titled "Wine, Mead, Cider and Distilling" if every time someone brings up distilling they are told not to discuss it?

Agreed Nazhuret, they really need to change the name. Because as it stands, no one could possibly know not to talk about distilling.

Monster-Masher said:
why is this talk about distilling not allowed? i mean, how are distilling forums allowed and publications like High Times?

Because this is a US based Beer & Wine making forum, both of which are legal by Federal law. Distilling is not a legal activity, thus is in violation of the rules with which you agreed when you joined the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back