StarSan and Hard Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
Evening All.

I've got hard water were I live and it seems to have effected the StarSan, the solution became cloudy.

Will this reduce it's potency?

Is this a pH effect can I fix it by adding a little acid and if so what type and how much?

What is the best way of measuring the pH of the system, will pH papers do or do I do I need to get some buffers and calibrate a pH probe.

My experience of probes especially cheap ones is that they are not reliable in solutions of low ionic strength so pH papers would be my preference if they work.

Many Thanks. Aamcle

I have hard water here as well. Sheesh I think my starsan turns cloudy just thinking about going in the water. But I do not think it hurts it any. And for me it kind of helps since I once used bottled water and it stayed clear. Cool huh well not so much since I poured the starsan in my humidor and chose at that instant to take a big swig of the stuff.

I only make about a gallon at a time and use it for three batches and then dump it. I do not think I have ever tested it but I have read people reusing it for months so I figure I am safe and sure enough (knock on wood) I have not had a infection yet

I have highly akaline water was well, and I really only use distilled water when I mix up Starsan for storing away for later. It's ok if used right away, but getting cloudy is supposed to be on of the signs that it's pH has risen to the point where it's not an effective sanitizer.

With Distilled water I've stored it for months without it getting cloudy.

and months and months and months. 1 gallon jug of distilled water is around $1. Spray bottle is $3-6. Saving StarSan a gallon at a time, priceless. Well not priceless, but frugal.

If you have hard water you should pick up an RO system for brewing & drinking water, and with that you can make StarSan that will last forever. I've been using the same 5 gal keg of RO-mixed starsan for 3 years now. Clear as a bell...

I use a little more Star San, about 1.5 oz per 5 gallons, use it once to support a brewing/cleaning session and toss it. I guess I'm not frugal.

I have highly akaline water was well, and I really only use distilled water when I mix up Starsan for storing away for later. It's ok if used right away, but getting cloudy is supposed to be on of the signs that it's pH has risen to the point where it's not an effective sanitizer.

With Distilled water I've stored it for months without it getting cloudy.
I've heard competing stories. I now have a pH meter so I'm going to check the next time I mix up a batch. I do know that using Starsan in an airlock turns it back to clear. I'm assuming the CO2 makes it more acidic? I'll go from RO water back to plain tap and do some tests next time I need to make a new batch. Mine takes overnight to cloud up.

I think I will buy some cheap strips and monitor my starsan as well. If it is bad when cloudy then I am wasting my time using it because mine goes cloudy the instant I mix it up

Take my word for it. My calcium is in the four hundreds. It's gypsum water. It renders starsan useless rather quickly. I have checked the ph and it's a no go according to Mr Talley of Five Star.

I used to keep two five gallon jugs of RO water for brewing, now I keep an extra for mixing Star San and other solutions.

If your water is as hard as mine, it's not good for snything.

Well then I guess I better buy some bottled water soon then. Weird though I have been using it forever and have never had a infection yet. I guess beer is tougher than we think

If you use it fresh, it hasn't had time to drop pH. That's my take on it.

I have a pH meter, but I've never done any measurements on Starsan. I usually mix 1/4 ounce iwth 3 quarts of water, so it's extra strong. It's just easier for me since the measuring thing starts at 1/4 ounce and my Walmart water jug is 3 quarts.

I can fill up a spray bottle several times with that jug, and I also pour from the jug into a keg or other large vessel, sanitize it, then pour it back into the jug.

I can go MONTHS on that 1/4 ounce.

Well I am going into town today so I will stop by and get a bottle of water. I am thinking it is better to be safe than sorry

Homercidal said:
If you use it fresh, it hasn't had time to drop pH. That's my take on it.

I have a pH meter, but I've never done any measurements on Starsan. I usually mix 1/4 ounce iwth 3 quarts of water, so it's extra strong. It's just easier for me since the measuring thing starts at 1/4 ounce and my Walmart water jug is 3 quarts.

I can fill up a spray bottle several times with that jug, and I also pour from the jug into a keg or other large vessel, sanitize it, then pour it back into the jug.

I can go MONTHS on that 1/4 ounce.

I use little irrigation syringes. I think it's 6cc to a gallon.

Back