Keg Trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just ordered two more kegs. They showed up and I was happy. One keg was still pressurized but the other is not. Went to see if it just wasn't pressurized before they shipped it. Nope. The pressure relief valve is not working and it won't hold pressure. :mad:

Contact who you purchased the kegs from, most companies/people are more than willing to help out in these instances.

I've had the same thing, pulling things apart cleaning the lids, poppets and seals and then lubing all the gaskets with keg lube has worked for me.

I had a pressure release valve that was leaking just this weekend. Unscrewed it, cleaned it and then lubed it and now all is well.

That is my plan for both. I guess I am just disappointed that a keg that was supposed to be cleaned and pressurized, was neither.

I give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they made an effort to pressurize the keg and check after a few minutes that its holding pressure, sometimes slow leaks are hard to detect. I've had kegs that have sealed in the past just fine and the next use I get a slow leak due to a lid seal or a poppet that needs to be reset. Just takes a bit of effort to keep everything working well but it seems once you get a keg in good working order it tends to stay that way.

Most carriers will not ship pressurized kegs. The 8 kegs that I have bought recently had the lids inside of the keg.

Back