Had bad luck with priming with DME. How to convert to priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agurkas

Reaction score
I had bad luck with priming with extra light DME before, so I am bit reluctant to do it again.
I am bottling my "ultra-IPA" (100+ IBU). Recipe calls for 300ml (1 1/4 cup) of Xtra light DME in 2 cups of water.
What would be the quantities, if done with priming sugar?

I've gone the opposite direction and switched from priming sugar to DME for all my beers.

However, as a place to start, check out Northern Brewer's priming calculator.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

I have found it to be fairly accurate in terms of getting the desired mouthfeel of carbonation in various styles.

an ounce a gallon is standard priming sugar. 5 ozs for 5 gallons. You can buy the 5 oz packages of corn sugar. I know it's a couple bucks for a pack but all you have to do is wipe the outside with sanitizer and dump it in.

an ounce a gallon is standard priming sugar. 5 ozs for 5 gallons. You can buy the 5 oz packages of corn sugar. I know it's a couple bucks for a pack but all you have to do is wipe the outside with sanitizer and dump it in.

You should be boiling the priming sugar in water before use. Wiping the bag with sanitizer is not necessary if you are going to boil it.

Boiling your priming sugar/DME serves 2 purposes. First is to make sure everything is sanitary. Second reason is once it is mixed with water it's easier to distribute through the wort. Undissolved sugars may not mix evenly.

I know the kits come with a 5oz. packet of dextrose, but for most styles that's too much sugar for a 5G batch. Use a priming calculator. The NB one is a good, easy-to-use one.

Latest posts

Back