Texas Hop Growers! When to pick??!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
Well, I live in Houston and I have three cascades going right now. All of them have cones, but I'm not too sure when to pick them. From what I've read, it's when they begin to feel more papery, and bounce back when you pinch them. They smell great, but are not too large. Any thoughts? If you guys want pics, I can post some.

Thanks,
J

I already picked my chinook, but then again they took off so fast they beat all my other ones. My cascade was the slowest to take off and the cones are still way to small. The Centennials are coming up next, i just picked them when i saw alot of Luplin and they where papery, I was worried about when to pick them since this was my first year, but you will know when they are ready just check them regularly.

Well my cascade plant is about 12 to 13 ft long. As for the cones i dont think they will be as big as the chinook or the Centennials. They seem to be short and very round, mine are about the size of a nickel right now. How big is your plant?

Well, I grew my plants horizontally, so it's a little hard to determine length, but I'd imagine they're also around 12-15'. Some of my cones are around the size of a quarter, some around the size of a dime, but they all seem to still be growing and have a lot of luplin. I think I'm going to pick them when they begin to brown a tad on the upper leaves of the cones simply b/c that seems to be an easy way to determine when they're ready.

Maybe I'll post a pic later on today.

Back