Cheap arse wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheboyganjohn

Reaction score
Decided after doing two batches with-out a chiller, I needed one. I never understood the need for these gigantic diameter mile long chillers so I went with my hunch and built one with 25' of 1/4" OD (yes OD) copper tubing. Made a 5.5 gallon BIAB today with a full volume boil (about 6.5 gallons post boil) and was able to cool it in 17 minutes to 68F by mixing with a spoon or 'bouncing' (lacking a better term) the chiller up and down. Grand total with the copper tubing, rubber tubing, fittings to adapt to a hose, 50' of garden hose, and hose clamps; $22.

One thing I noticed, if I let the chiller sit still for more then 15 seconds when it was in the low 100's, the discharge water would get cold, if you kept it mixed by any method, it pulled the heat out much faster.

17 minutes is better than leaving it overnight. I once made a chiller out of 3/16" brake line. It actually worked quite well because it had thin walls but attaching the hoses required a bit of tricky soldering.

Back