Falconers flight extra IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sublevel007

Reaction score
So I'm about 36 hours after yeast pitch of my 2nd ever batch. I think this one will be good as I hit everything on the mark this time and instilled some tips for steeping the grains I saw on here. Compared to my 1st batch the fermentation seems much more active bases on the activity in the airlock. Keeping it wrapped end in a bath towel an my temp is showing about 72-74,

My question is I'm going to rack to a 6.5 gal carboy and dry hop with another oz of the Falconers flight hops. The instructions say in 4-6 days. However other people say 7-10 days but before fermentation is complete. I don't want to open the bucket this time as I want this to turn out good. How can I tell when the right time to rack this is?

Personally, I wouldn't rack it at all. I would leave it in the primary for 14 days or so. Then I would open the lid, dump in your dry hops, close it back up and let it set another 5-7 days. Then move to bottling bucket and bottle.

Y not rack? Wouldn't this clean up more sediment and clean the beer providing a truer flavor

It's not a particularly scientific method but the general rule is to wait until the airlock slows to a few bubbles a minute.

I would not base it on how many days since you pitched the yeast because without precise temp control no two fermentations would run the same.

The age old argument about racking to a secondary or not is really personal preference. The majority of the commercials dump the trub during ferment (basically the same effect as racking to primary). The main reason not to Is the risk of infection or oxidation.

I will say I can already smell the hops coming through the airlock. I'm sure smelling spent CO2 is not the best but I can't seem to get my nose away from the airlock

sublevel007 said:
I'm sure smelling spent CO2 is not the best but I can't seem to get my nose away from the airlock

Every single member on this forum is an airlock sniffer. A little CO2 never hurt anyone and it only adds to the enjoyment.

First, thank you for not judging, second my wife was just staring while I was doing it calling me an idiot. For her comments I made her do it as well

The majority of brewers have wives/girlfriends that think they are idiots for sniffing airlocks, admiring the clarity and color of a brew, getting excited when we hit our OG perfectly. But if we didn't do it then they wouldn't drink our lovely beer. We should be worshipped for our dedication. Lol

1) 72 to 74 F seems high unless it's a Belgian yeast. The higher temperatures produce more yeast flavors (some undesirable) and fusel alcohols (headaches).

2) Whether you secondaryt or not, the latest wisdom is to keep the beer on the yeast for a few days after fermentation is complete to clean up some of the undesirable products such as diacetyl and acetaldehyde (butter and apple flavors). Just leave it 2 weeks before you do anything.

The yeast used was safe ale us 05, package says 65-75 temp range. I had my primary covered with a bath towel but when it got 74 I removed the towel and its down to 71-72 now the room it's in has a temp of 64-65

It's not a particularly scientific method but the general rule is to wait until the airlock slows to a few bubbles a minute....

This isn't true. Fermentation is only done when you take a sample reading with a hydrometer then another sample reading two or three days later. If the gravity is steady, you're able to rack if you want/add dry hops.

ShinyBuddha said:
This isn't true. Fermentation is only done when you take a sample reading with a hydrometer then another sample reading two or three days later. If the gravity is steady, you're able to rack if you want/add dry hops.

Your totally correct but the aim was to rack before completing fermentation. So I was recommending a method for that, not for racking at completion of fermentation.

Back