What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought supplies for a beer I'm brewing next week for a friend of mine's wedding. He's coming over to brew with me and I'm going to teach him the "art" of All-Grain. So far he's got one batch of extract under his belt that he did on his own. Kinda fun being a beer mentor! :fro:

This weekend, I'm upgrading a kegerator that I bought recently. I got in a new triple tap tower yesterday, and today I received my new regulator, five way co2 manifold, and ball lock connectors. I'll actually have a total of 5 taps on this kegerator, as it will have two towers on it. I also have an additional 3 tap kegerator, so I'll have a total of 8 taps at end state. :)

Just finished installing the triple tower, co2 system, and have a couple kegs carbing. This kegerator has total capacity of 6 kegs, so my intention is to have 5 kegs on tap, and space to carb a keg. Going to rack a couple more beers over to kegs today, and get them carbing as well. Next week, I'll be enjoying 6 kegs on tap at a time. Not sure when I'll get around to adding the other tower.

Also thinking about building a bar in my basement. Right now, the original 3 keg Haier is in my kitchen, and the new kegerator is in the basement.

I de-labeled more than a case of bottles because I'm running low on empties! I milled a grist yesterday and will mix some water tonight for a brew-day tomorrow. I'm going to mash before church, bring the temp up near a boil, then boil when I get home.

Bottled a BIAB American Pale Ale. Bought a couple of buckets at HD to store my bulk 2-row, bought a few pilsner glasses and oxy-clean knock off at the $$Store and am tipping back a few brown ales.

Cheers!

Put my first batch ever into the secondary with an oz each of Simcoe and Amarillo. Its an IPA and hopefully it turns out well!

Brewed a wit beer with bitter and sweet orange, coriander, and fresh lemon peel. I ran out of propane and had to split boil on the stove, hope it turns out ok. I also kegged half of my belgian table beer I brewed a few weeks ago. This is my first time kegging so I hope it turns out ok, I am using priming sugar and then the co2 charger to serve. I am only kegging for parties right now but I will probably pick up a full co2 set up when the funds allow.

Racked an IPA from one keg to another, because I had a clogged dip tube and poppet... apparently I was a little too buzzed and racked sloppily the first time so a lot of dry hop debris got into the first keg.

Brewed up 5.25 gallons of Airborne's Atonement Brown Porter. Tasted some before the boil and it was great. Should have tried after the hop additions but forgot. Also kegged 5 gallons of Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde. And now, looking for more recipes to brew.

I set up a new kegerator/tower this weekend. I had the joy of getting to the HB shop to buy a bunch of extra equipment and swap my CO2 tank only to realize I forgot the tank. Yep....

Several hour of connecting parts, sanitizing and another car trip later - I connected corny of pilsner then then I kegged a Bitter and moved that in.(Looking forward to that carbing up as it was great out of the fermenter)

The best part was enjoying that first pint of pils from an actual tap.

bottled 5 gallons of a Cream Ale so it can be ready by June first (my birthday).
Beer menu for my birthday: Cream Ale, IPA, and Apple Wine.

Bottled 1 Gallon of edwort's Apfelwine and started another on its cake. Tasted like I remember Hornsby to taste, so I'm extra geeked to see where it ends up by late summer/fall when SWMBO and I try a bottle!

Filled a growler with the first home brew I've made in 15 years. Taking it to the brewpub where old co-workers work, the ones who gave me the kegs that became my HLT and keggle, and the yeast for said home brew. The ones who kept my enthusiasm going. 5 Seasons Brewing Atlanta.

De-labeled ~70 bottles. I wouldn't have to do this if people returned my damn bottles! (and if I didn't brew so much so often)

Ordered a pin-lock post to convert into an easy keg line cleaner as referenced elsewhere here on HBT. Isn't this place great?!?!

Does thinking about my two beers in primary count as doing something?

Bottled a 5 gallon batch of Kolsch, and brewed a 5 gallon batch of Ferocious IPA. Also getting ready to order a keg system from Midwest in a few minutes.

Kill two birds with one stone and give out less beer!

I always tell people to keep 'em because I am full up, if not overly so. 'What are those?' 'My empties...which you helped supply at the last party...in order for me to make more beer for you....'

See how I switched the accountability there?

I made an ale glass out of a Rogue bomber.

IMAG0267.jpg

Used a glass cutter to score the bottle. Put the bottle in boiling water for 5 sec., ice water for 5 sec., boiling water for 5 sec., then POP! Then I used 60 grit to sand off the rough edges, followed by 120 grit to polish smooth. Nothing to it.

For $20 you can get a generation green bottle cutter on Amazon. But there are many other cutters available.

wSelwyn said:
De-labeled ~70 bottles. I wouldn't have to do this if people returned my damn bottles! (and if I didn't brew so much so often)

Don't you love people that will take free beer and don't return the bottles? Even worse, returning empties with beer residue, cobwebs or mold in the bottom. But anyhow, I am bottling a batch of German Pilsner tonight.

Bought a kegging setup from Keg Connection. Reconditioned Corny, new CO2 tank, and the regulator/connection kit. My only problem now is getting the CO2 filled.

just dryhopped my ordinary bitter with .5oz legacy .5oz nugget
took the FG reading of the calypso APA i brewed 5/5... ended just below guidelines at 1.009 (and since i overshot my gravity, it's a little higher abv at 6.4%), but the small sample after taking the refractometer reading was delicious
think i'll be bottling that one today

Back