Ruthless Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im not psyched on it -would rather see a lager for their spring release...but summerfest is coming.
This beer is way too close to the PA - juat a little darker and a touch of spice

I was picking up a six-mixer and i happen to have a sn bigfoot carrier i chose to pick them out,i was walking around looking at other beers,and a guy spotted out my Bigfoot carrier and replies "Have you tried the Ruthless" I was like yeah its pretty good,thought it was more of a nice ipa and didnt get alot of rye,maybe if it ages a little.Kind of gave him a shocking description. He then replys "im addicted to that stuf" then i seen him go over and get some. I then seen a 4 pack of HopRod rye and seen him then walk away and was like damn i should have told him to pick this up,although i may have made him into a rye crack head had i suggested it.
Founders is pulling into IA soon at least into eastern IA,people are going to love this stuff, i was going to IL to get it.I cant believe the growth latley, i just seen some cool looking big grolsh bottles with locally made beer that i never heard of before and have no idea why i didnt get them.

I strongly remember Terrapin, one was named Hoppin Rye or some such and a few others are lost in the fog. I don't claim to be a rye beer expert, so maybe I should have clarified that in my post. The rye beers that I have tried have a flavor note that reminds me of RAW rye flour, which is not pleasing to me. Ruthless Rye does not hit that note.

Drinking it now, its very good! However, there are many IPAs that I'd rather be drinking and buying instead. That said, I've never had a Rye IPA before, so I am now interested in checking out some of the other Rye beers. Love SN and this is one of their better beers IMO. I'd recommend this beer to anyone.

Drinking it now, its very good! However, there are many IPAs that I'd rather be drinking and buying instead. That said, I've never had a Rye IPA before, so I am now interested in checking out some of the other Rye beers. Love SN and this is one of their better beers IMO. I'd recommend this beer to anyone.

This also was my first rye IPA and I enjoyed it also. I do not know what to compare it to as we don't get much variety on the east coast. Beeradvocate magizine released the recipe last issue, I can't confirm that as my work firewall blocks everything with beer, and I'm too lazy to start my vpn). I'm going to play with the recipe and see what its all about.

Try brewing Ed Wort's Bee Cave Brewery Rye IPA. It's one of my standards, proves SN could do better.

Thanks! Here's a link to the recipe if anyone wants to try it....

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/DCRyeIPA

Hey Denny, total side question. I know you probably buy almost exclusively WYeast because you live up there, but have you ever tried White labs WLP090 - Super San Diego, and if so, what were your thoughts compared to 1450 or 1272?

I am a huge fan of Rye beers. Ruthless Rye has, by far, been my favorite. I have brewed a Rye Pale Ale (known as the Rye-U Hadoken Pale Ale) a couple times, and my latest batch that I just tested gravity on and taste tested was very similar to Ruthless Rye. Mine is a little sweeter, probably from the honey malt, but the rye kick on the end was pretty identical. I'm really looking froward to drinking my beer, if it's half as good as the Ruthless... or hell, maybe even twice as good ;)

Hey Denny, total side question. I know you probably buy almost exclusively WYeast because you live up there, but have you ever tried White labs WLP090 - Super San Diego, and if so, what were your thoughts compared to 1450 or 1272?

Nope, never tried it. My few experieinces with White Labs years ago didn't turn out as well as Wyeast, so I never went back. We have 2 LHBS in town. One only sold Wyeast and the other only White. They switched to Wyeast a few years back, so that's the only thing readily available.

I actually used the San Diego Super Yeast in my last batch of Rye-U Hadoken Pale Ale. I had never used it before, and it was only the second time I've used yeast from a vial, usually I use slap packs. The fermentation started off slower than normal, but then it did it's thing for a few days. I noticed significantly less krausen than with other beers I've brewed, but I also did my primary in a 6.5 gallon carboy this time (not sure if that extra head space would effect that or not). I tasted the beer yesterday, after just a week in primary, and it tasted absolutely excellent. I'll be racking to secondary today. I digress... So far, while I have very minimal experience with yeast strains and procedures, the San Diego Super has treated me quite well with this batch.

Ya, I've used it once where I split a 10gallon batch. Half got WLP090 and the other half US05. It made a great beer. I'm getting ready to brew a few more batches with it.

Why the 90/75 minute boils with the Rye? Is that preference or something to do with the rye itself?

Thanks! Here's a link to the recipe if anyone wants to try it....

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/DCRyeIPA

It is actually my personal favorite brew....thanks so much for sharing the recipe! I have 3 beers I make that will place in every competition I enter and this is one of them....Yoopers oatmeal stout and my iipa recipes are the others...but to me the rye is in a league of its own!

I had one of these again last night and I like it very much. Last year, upon tasting my first, I thought I was really tasting the rye in there, but I'm wondering if what I was really tasting was a spicy hop profile. I can't say I really know what the rye would taste like, due to my limited experience.

I have made a rye pale ale and a couple of rye IPAs with the rye ranging from 11-16% and I think I was picking up a subtle rye flavor sometimes, but not really at all in the 11% Rye PA. I did think there was a noticeable difference in the mouth feel and head, but not so much in the flavor. Denny was informed that they are using no more than 10% rye in this and the clone recipes I've seen use even less. I like Ruthless and would like to make something like it, but I don't know whether the rye has that much to do with it.

I could have some other flavors in my beers which cover up the rye more, but I do wonder if the distinctive spicy flavor I get in this has more to do with the hops than the rye.

What do others think?

I used 15% flaked rye in my latest Rye PA (all grain) batch. There is a very similar taste on the back end to the ruthless rye, which I assume is the rye. I didn't use any crazy hops, just cascade and galena for a citrusy/floral bite. I know I'm being bias, but after my non-dry hopped and non-carbonated taste test, this might be the greatest beer I've ever made/consumed. :)
I should also mention that I think mine is a little sweeter than the ruthless, and I attribute that to the honey malt I used.

Back