cold crashing in ferm chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vince805

Reaction score
So I am wanting to get a ferm chamber going to improve the quality of my brews. Right now I just stick the buckets in a closet in my basement and let it do its thing. I have not decided if I will go with an old freezer/fridge to use for a ferm chamber or build a son/mother of a ferm chamber.

The question I have for now is, what if I have 2 brews fermenting in the same chamber. One is ready to keg so I want to cold crash it, while the other is not. Would I have to take the ready one out and cold crash it somewhere else, or could I lower the temp and cold crash it in ther (which would also cold crash the not ready brew).

This is the reason I am leaning towards making two seperate ferm chambers so I can control each one seperate. How do you guys handle this?

Or you could pull the one out you don't want to crash.

I should add to that, you don't want to crash a beer that's not ready, that will slow things down a lot. But pulling the beer out for 36hr shouldn't be a problem. It has a large thermal mass, if rapped in a blanket it will keep close to the right temp in that time.

Hmmm... such a simple solution. Thank you very much! Looks like it's time to start getting my shopping list together!

Back